Thread: Anthony Pettis and Josh Thomson eyeing UFC 166 fight

1. Default Anthony Pettis and Josh Thomson eyeing UFC 166 fight

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/7/10...homson-ufc-166

Anthony Pettis was supposed to be dropping to featherweight to challenge champion Jose Aldo for his title, but an injury put a stop to that. It appears now that Pettis will be staying at lightweight, and his next bout could come against former Strikeforce champ Josh Thomson. The two men traded tweets hinting at the bout:

Josh Thomson ✔ @THEREALPUNK

Talkin shop with boss man @danawhitepayne trying to get that @showtimepettis fight. @ UFC Fan Expo http://instagram.com/p/bkCcgGB8dL/
    6:16 PM - 9 Jul 2013
    Anthony Pettis ✔ @Showtimepettis

@THEREALPUNK heard Texas is nice in October!
    7:30 PM - 9 Jul 2013
    Josh Thomson ✔ @THEREALPUNK

“@Showtimepettis: @THEREALPUNK heard Texas is nice in October!” That's what I here. I'm down to visit if you are?
    8:04 PM - 9 Jul 2013
    Damon Martin at Bleacher Report also talked to Thomson about it, who said it's the bout that makes the most sense:

"I brought it up to Joe Silva, and what's funny is I ran into Pettis at the Mandalay Bay pool, and he walked right up to me and was like, 'Hey, what's up dude; are we fighting or what?' and I said, 'Hey, all I need you to do is sign on the line. He's like, 'It sounds like a deal.' I'd really like to try to get a fight with him late September, early October, maybe on Cain Velasquez's card in Houston."

"It just seems like the logical fight. I'm not the one that makes this call. It's just funny; when I was with Strikeforce, all I heard people say was 'I would love to see you fight Pettis.' That was the biggest fight everybody wanted to see. Now, I'm in this situation that I'm in where I'm coming off a big win over Nate Diaz. Pettis was slated to be the No. 1 contender against Aldo, and now he's basically at 55 again. I feel like I'm the No. 1 contender, he feels like he's the No. 1 contender, and I feel like we're both right there."
    He also said it's not a personal thing between the two, but it might be if Pettis doesn't take the fight:

"There is no personal beef whatsoever. Like I said, if he doesn't sign on the line, there might be a little personal beef. You can't poke me at the pool and say 'are we fighting or what?' and then turn around and not fight me. I understand at the end of the day it's not our call."
    For his part, Pettis talked to MMA Fighting and wasn't quite as diplomatic:

"Thomson called me out," he said. "I'm never afraid to fight anyone, and I'm tired of waiting. If I'm supposed to be the best, then why not beat him in October? [It will] set me up for a title shot late this year or early next [year].

"Only bad thing is no one really knows who he is."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Ok, I'm down for this. Gooo Thompson!!
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

I'm with you. War Thompson! Think the winner will get a title shot?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

LOVE this fight. No way it's anything other than a #1 contender fight if it happens.

Not a huge fan of either guy with the latest round of events. I'm good to just sit back and enjoy a fun fight. Pettis is giving up a big size advantage again; if he wins it's a big statement.

As much as I want to see Henderson Pettis 2 part of me wants Thompson to win so he can finally fight for the belt after it being taken away from him and Yves years ago. Edwards will probably never get this close again, even though he was the winner in that fight. Still for one of them to get a chance would be kind of cool. Of course I think Henderson would win.

Good matchup . Pettis for the W and then the gold
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

pettis by 1st round ko/tko.

Thread Information