Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Daniel Cormier to Roy Nelson: Re-sign with UFC, so we can settle our differences

If memory serves me correct, the notion to fight Roy was brought up months ago to DC and he laughed it off and even made insults as to why he shouldn't fight him. Now Roy is out of the UFC and looks like he wont be back and DC is all about fighting him.... I don't think I care too much for DC.
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

Quote Originally Posted by FedortheCan View Post
    If memory serves me correct, the notion to fight Roy was brought up months ago to DC and he laughed it off and even made insults as to why he shouldn't fight him. Now Roy is out of the UFC and looks like he wont be back and DC is all about fighting him.... I don't think I care too much for DC.
    As noted earlier, Roy called DC an Uncle Tom prior to his fight with Stipe. Since then, not surprisingly, DC has been interested in fighting him. If you're not familiar with the term, it's generally considered pretty fucking racist.

Also, DC does not have an epic tan, he is black.

Aside: Is "uncle Tom" a known term in other parts of the world or is too outdated and North American-y? Can't say that I know British racial slurs from a century ago.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    As noted earlier, Roy called DC an Uncle Tom prior to his fight with Stipe. Since then, not surprisingly, DC has been interested in fighting him. If you're not familiar with the term, it's generally considered pretty fucking racist.

Aside: Is "uncle Tom" a known term in other parts of the world or is too outdated and North American-y? Can't say that I know British racial slurs from a century ago.
    It was a clever play on Dana's last name, though.

Im aware of what Nelson said, but I thought that DC laughed at the thought of fighting Nelson and stated he wasn't worthy, no?
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

Quote Originally Posted by FedortheCan View Post
    Im aware of what Nelson said, but I thought that DC laughed at the thought of fighting Nelson and stated he wasn't worthy, no?
    My recollection of the timeline is:

1. Roy wants to fight DC
    2. DC says Roy isn't ranked
    3. Roy calls DC an Uncle Tom
    4. DC wants to fight Roy

I'd say that's pretty reasonable. If anything, DC could be called for being too easily baited. But, again, I think racial slurs are a sensitive issue.

If anything, DC could be called for being too easily baited. But, again, I think racial slurs are a sensitive issue.
    I think it could also have to do with the statement being uncomfortably close to the truth for DC. To many, the very definition of an Uncle Tom is a Black Person who sucks up to the boss while other Black people are [minimally] undervalued/paid [or worse]. There are certainly black men in the UFC who are not paid commensurate to their skill/talent. Regardless of the fact that it's coming from a White man, the statement probably rings closer to the truth than Cormier would like.

If you made fun of Clay Guida for being bald, he's going to laugh it off, because it completely doesn't apply. But if you made fun of Belcher's poorly-executed Johnny Cash tattoo, he's going to be pissed because he knows there is an element of truth to it.

I think that's why Cormier is reacting so strongly.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I think it could also have to do with the statement being uncomfortably close to the truth for DC. To many, the very definition of an Uncle Tom is a Black Person who sucks up to the boss while other Black people are [minimally] undervalued/paid [or worse]. There are certainly black men in the UFC who are not paid commensurate to their skill/talent.
    Not sure I buy that. Even with the shenanigans of late, the UFC is still far more meritocratic than most organizations people work for. Win the fight and you move up the ranks. In most organizations, maybe if you do that repeatedly over the course of a few years you're targeted for promotion; but only if you're politically savvy as well. In contrast, DC moved up the ranks off unexpected wins and a popular tournament.

On a construction crew, the foreman isn't the guy who installed drywall the best. And in white collar jobs, senior managers aren't necessarily the people with the best numbers. In the academy, heads of departments and deans are notoriously politically positions.

I'm not a fighter, but I suspect there's a lot less attention paid to how one interacts with the boss amongst fighters than in other jobs. (With the notable exceptions of undeserved title shots, but DC isn't anywhere near that group.)

Ufc 115?
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    Ufc 115?
    Huh?

Thread Information