Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penn still up in the air on return to Octagon

Default Penn still up in the air on return to Octagon

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...rn-to-Octagon/
    At 34 years old, BJ Penn may still have some good fighting years left despite retiring after his recent fight. Penn hasn't made a confirm committment either way, and spoke to Fuel TV about a potential return:

"I'm still just hanging out, honestly. At this moment, my guess is probably a little better than yours, but I don't know. I'm enjoying what I'm doing. I am training. I'm starting to train a bit more, for my health a lot. I'm a fighter, I'm a fighter deep inside. If I felt it, if it ever comes back -- not saying that it's gone -- I don't know.

You know how being a fighter is, your mind changes from time-to-time. Of course I'm looking, Anderson (Silva) he's 39 and he's in there fighting, I'm like 'I'm 34, why can't I fight again?' It's gotta be right. There's no sense in me going back into the Octagon and getting beat up in front of everybody, that just doesn't make any sense."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I saw this or a similar interview with Helwani yesterday or the day before. In that one, he says that if he does come back it'll be at 155.

I'm not sure I want to see BJ in there anymore. He's stiffened up and slowed down to the point where he's not the fighter he once was and would need to adopt better training and gameplans to be a force; neither of which I see him doing. But, if he does, at least it'll be at LW where he belongs.

He arguably has some of the most useless cornermen I've ever seen.

4. Default

If it isn't someone who really piss's BJ off I don't see him putting in enough hard work to show case his available talent level.

Change camps and stay at LW and I'd love to see another run.
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

Wonder if BJ'd be interested in a replacement fight with Maia at WW?

If he does come back, 155 is where he belongs.. and he needs to start actually gameplanning for fights. The "just scrap" mentality won't work against top level opponents.

I think Penn v. Sherk 2 would be a good return fight. I know Sherk only wants to come back for a big fight at this point and the winner could re-start climbing the ladder.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by Leucoethiops View Post
    He arguably has some of the most useless cornermen I've ever seen.
    Most definitely.

"Hit him in the fuckin face!"

A Baby J comeback.... I'll pass.
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

Thread Information