+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Daniel Cormier vs. Roy Nelson Being Considered for UFC 166: Velasquez vs. dos Santos

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Lots of talk about no real action though
    He has been losing weight. The guy has kidney issues so he has to take the weight cut slow. Between his last Strikeforce fight and the Mir fight he lost 20 pounds. He will probably weigh in at 220 or so for this fight when it happens.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    I'll give you that Roy was just barely in the top 10. He's never beat anyone ranked higher than 8 or 9 and lost all of his important fights. But you can't seriously be saying that Roy didn't pick this fight. Cormier wasn't going to fight Roy and had nothing to say until Roy started talking a lot of trash, including using racial slurs. That's how Roy goaded Cormier into this fight.
    Do you consider "uncle Tom" a racial slur? Cause that is pretty weak in my opinion. And after watching Roy's last fight, Im pretty sure Cormier would wreck him even worse. But hey? I thought Anderson was going to wreck Weidman too... So I guess you just never know.

Truth be told I wish him and Jones would just fight already instead of making this match up.

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    Do you consider "uncle Tom" a racial slur? Cause that is pretty weak in my opinion. And after watching Roy's last fight, Im pretty sure Cormier would wreck him even worse. But hey? I thought Anderson was going to wreck Weidman too... So I guess you just never know.

Truth be told I wish him and Jones would just fight already instead of making this match up.
    Honestly, I have no idea; I just have been told it is. I'm both white and from an area where I heard the n-word pretty regularly but never heard a white person insult a black person by calling them an uncle Tom. That said, the powers that be tell me it's pretty fucked up to do that.

And I'm with you on the other two points. Cormier is a favorite for sure but no fight is a gimme. And I'm looking forward to the Cormier/Jones fight. But I think Cormier needs to win a high level fight at LHW first.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Given that Werdum is available after the Big Nog fight and it is the most logical pairing of the two top HW contenders, a matchup with Nelson feels very much like a holding pattern fight for Cormier, while he tests the waters at making a healthy 205 and continues to drop weight. This fight isn't as big of a risk for Cormier and ZUFFA doesn't run the risk of losing a top title contender in Werdum to a fighter who won't fight the champ and is maybe going to 205.

If Cormier fights at HW and it isn't Werdum, I think it is a very telling sign as to where he is headed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information