Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Cormier vs. Roy Nelson Being Considered for UFC 166: Velasquez vs. dos Santos

1. Default Daniel Cormier vs. Roy Nelson Being Considered for UFC 166: Velasquez vs. dos Santos

http://www.mmaweekly.com/daniel-corm...dos-santos-iii

Daniel Cormier has been constructing his move from heavyweight down to light heavyweight for quite some time.

He’s currently in the midst of working his way down to 205 pounds, planning to fight one more time at heavyweight before making the drop. And there seems to be no shortage of opponents for him before he finally debuts at light heavyweight.

UFC president Dana White recently confirmed that Fabricio Werdum asked him to fight Cormier after Werdum defeated Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in his most recent fight.

Cormier said he was fine with that fight, but White may have other plans for the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix champion.

White told Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports that he is currently in negotiations with Roy Nelson for a new contract. Nelson fulfilled his last contract with a loss to Stipe Miocic at UFC 161 in June.

White told Iold, “If he re-signs Nelson in time, he plans to pair him with Daniel Cormier at UFC 166 on the Velasquez-dos Santos III undercard.”

UFC 166: Velasquez vs. dos Santos III is slated for Oct. 19 at the Toyota Center in Houston. The rubber match between heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez and challenger Junior dos Santos headlines the fight card.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Terrible. Just terrible.

Roy just lost to Stipe and wasn't top 10 prior. Cormier just beat Mir and is easily top 3 or 4. Roy didn't just talk his way into a fight that he didn't earn, he did it with racial slurs. What crap.

Not a fan of this fight at all..This makes zero sense to me.. Roy might get stopped in this fight honestly, and it won't be close either way.. Why isn't Cormier just dropping to Light heavyweight or fight a top contender... Mir was a decent opponent but come on give him a hyping contender..Roy is an amazing fighter but come on Cormier is on a whole other level thats just rediculous.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

If Cormier is serious about moving down, then I don't see a major problem with this fight. Nelson gets a top ranked guy, even though he doesn't deserve it after losing his last fight and saying what he said.

If Cormier doesn't end up moving down, it's just a waste of time. It could certainly be argued that it is either way, but with Cormier's past kidney issues it's best that he takes it the slow and healthy way.

That being said, I'd like to see DC knock him out.

this just an introductory fight for DC. showcase him then market the shit outta him.. roy nelson is probably going to get wrecked and then get release from the ufc.

Quote Originally Posted by FE_EatsChildren View Post
    this just an introductory fight for DC. showcase him then market the shit outta him.. roy nelson is probably going to get wrecked and then get release from the ufc.
    Nah this is a we don't have a future contender we want to waste on DC if he won't fight Cain.

Only fights DC is going to get at heavyweight is against guys Cain has recently just beat or guys not in the running for a potential title shot. At least til Cain drops the belt that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Nah this is a we don't have a future contender we want to waste on DC if he won't fight Cain.

Only fights DC is going to get at heavyweight is against guys Cain has recently just beat or guys not in the running for a potential title shot. At least til Cain drops the belt that is.
    thought DC was gonna drop in weight? unless i missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by FE_EatsChildren View Post
    thought DC was gonna drop in weight? unless i missed something?
    DC wants to cave Roy's face in for calling him an Uncle Tom. Now you are up to speed.

Guess i'd be the only one laughing my ass off if Roy won?

Thread Information