+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz isn't thinking about his belt anymore

Hybrid View

1. Default UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz isn't thinking about his belt anymore

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/7/15...-belt-mma-news

It's been nearly two years since Dominick Cruz last fought, a unanimous decision victory over Demetrious Johnson at UFC Live: Cruz vs. Johnson. It was the UFC's last show on the Versus network, it's first title fight on free TV in 4 years. The UFC had yet to run a single show on Fox or any of its affiliates. What I'm saying is, it's been a while.

In the meantime, Renan Barao has established himself as the new face on the block. He beat Urijah Faber soundly for the interim title, and put a stop to Michael McDonald in an exciting, but ultimately decisive test. He's almost entirely shook off the shadow of Cruz, the true UFC bantamweight champion. Almost, but not quite.

Back in February it seemed that the title was still firmly Cruz's, Dana White spoke on the issue just before Renan Barao defended the interim belt against McDonald:

"I hate taking something like that away from somebody," UFC President Dana White said in a press conference this week. "The way it works in the fight business is, you beat the man who beat the man." (via SportsNet)
    The tune remained largely unchanged over the next few months. With Dana and Cruz meeting to discuss the future of the belt, and coming to the mutual agreement that it was a future that included Dominick Cruz as champion.

"We had a great conversation with Dominick," White said on Thursday from Madison Square Garden, where the organization held a press event to publicize this weekend's UFC 159. "He's good, he's feeling healthy. He's training again. He's going to keep his title and when he comes back, he'll defend it." (via MMAFighting)
    I'm not sure if anything has changed since their last conversation in April, but Dominick Cruz recently appeared on MMA Prime for an interview, and his thoughts on the belt were much more staid. He sounded like a man ready to let go of his title for the betterment of the division.

"I can't worry about the belt. It's really not my position to decide whether I keep it because I've been injured or whether Dana takes it or whether Barao has it. The belt is there. The bottom line is me getting healthy so I can go out there and do what I do best which is prove why I am where I am today. I'm not here by accident. I work hard to be there I'm at and I'm working hard in therapy to make sure I return to form as soon as possible. That's the goal. It's been a very tedious, tough process.... Nobody wants to wait including me. I don't want to have to wait but I don't really have a choice at this point other than to take my time and come back strong." (via MMAMania)
    If he truly has no set time table for his return at this point, vacating the title may be the best option. I've long been a believer that Cruz is the rightful champion and shouldn't be stripped, but the division can't continue to wait on him if he's still unsure of when he'll be able to make a full recovery. His focus on having a long term career is smart, and his approach at this point should be admired. He's not an old fighter, and could have a lot of good years left if he takes the time off to get back to full strength. That may just have to mean coming back without the belt as well.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Cruz Who?
    I consider the belt Barao's anyways.
    Whenever it is that Cruz comes back he needs to be fighting Barao to get the belt back, not people fighting him for the belt.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    Cruz Who?
    I consider the belt Barao's anyways.
    Whenever it is that Cruz comes back he needs to be fighting Barao to get the belt back, not people fighting him for the belt.
    ^^This. Cruz should have given up the title long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    ^^This. Cruz should have given up the title long ago.
    So you want a guy who busted his ass off to get the title to just ummm give it up because he had some bad injury luck?

At this point, stripping Cruz is pointless. a year ago it would have made sense but the guy is going to be fighting within the next 6 months so why bother now? He is just going to get first crack when he comes back anyway and the UFC will make way more money with a Champion v. Champion fight.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

How does Cruz get to hold on to a belt for almost 2 years? It makes me wonder if anyone even cares about this division.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Whether Cruz is still considered champ or not, dont matter. The division certainly moved on during his absence. Barao has defended the title once already, possibly 2nd time sometime soon. The division has contenders moving up the ladder. Cruz is not holding up the division at all.

Agreed with everyone so far, Barao is the champ, Cruz at this point would need to try to take it back.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

8. Default

Cruz's first fight back should be for the title I see giving him that, but anything else won't do from Cruz.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information