Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hector Lombard: Welterweight cut UFC decision (not his), vows to never lose again

1. Default Hector Lombard: Welterweight cut UFC decision (not his), vows to never lose again

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/7/15/45...quardt-ufc-166

After failing to deliver in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Middleweight division, going 1-2 with a win over Rousimar Palhares sandwiched between losses to Tim Boetsch and Yushin Okami, Hector Lombard is dropping down to the promotion's Welterweight division.

The 15-pound decision, however, wasn't his, with Lombard revealing it was UFC matchmaker Joe Silva who suggested the 170-pound cut because he was too short to compete with the bigger guys at 185 pounds.

Furthermore, "Lighting" would immediately go from being the smaller man in the fight to the bigger one with the weight class switch.

The former Bellator MMA middleweight champ explained his situation on a recent appearance on "The MMA Hour:"

"That wasn't my plans, UFC wanted me to go to 170. They believe that I have, that I will perform better at 170 than 185. I have to do what the bosses say you know. Can't argue with the bosses. If it were up to me, I would have stayed at 185. I have to be disciplined and I have to do what they want me to do. I've been training hard and I think I will be able to make it and I will be able to perform better that way. They said I'm too short for 185 and I would be big at 170."
    Lombard is set to battle Nate Marquardt at UFC 166 on Oct. 19, 2013, when the mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion heads back to Houston, Texas, in a fight that was originally set to take place under the Bellator banner a few years ago.

And while the stocky slugger admits the cut down to 170 pounds won't be easy, it will likely harvest fruitful results for him in the future. In fact, despite his less that spectacular results so far inside the Octagon, the Cuban vows to never lose again from here on out.

"I have confidence, I don't see myself losing from now on to anyone."
    While Lombard recognizes he may lose some of his infamous punching power with the weight cut, he is confident the speed and stamina he gains will more than make up for it.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Oh yea, he's gonna get fast tracked. A finish of Nate and then a win over a top 10 WW, and he'll be going to Montreal vs GSP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

To become a giant jab-absorber for 25 minutes.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Oh yea, he's gonna get fast tracked. A finish of Nate and then a win over a top 10 WW, and he'll be going to Montreal vs GSP.
    i suspect you are right, we will see how he does after his weight cut, that will be the test. if he drops weight correctly hes a tough fight at 170. though i believe he loses to other fighters at 170, he could very well be an anti-GSP with his TDD, throws, and takedowns. i'll be excited to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    To become a giant jab-absorber for 25 minutes.
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by jhemp81 View Post
    i suspect you are right, we will see how he does after his weight cut, that will be the test. if he drops weight correctly hes a tough fight at 170. though i believe he loses to other fighters at 170, he could very well be an anti-GSP with his TDD, throws, and takedowns. i'll be excited to see how this plays out.
    And yup.

After Hendricks there aren't a lot of contenders left. Maybe Ellenberger if he beats MacDonald. Maybe Demian Maia. Robbie Lawler might make a good comeback story if he can string together some wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I don't see how he could ever be an anti-GSP with those t-rex arms. It seems more likely to me that he would simply be target practice until he was so bruised up he could no longer defend himself.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I don't see how he could ever be an anti-GSP with those t-rex arms.

And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I'd like to see him get at least 3 wins at WW before a title shot. There are some seriously interesting matchups for him though. Guys like Maia, Diaz, or Condit would make for some sick fights.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I'll be quite incredulous to this whole thing until I actually see Lombard make weight at 170 successfully and from that, if he can last more than a round without completely blowing out his gas tank.

I think there are alot of really smart WWs who'll be able to decision Lombard by draining him, I don't see him getting to a title shot without a loss.

It'd be funny to see Kampmann pick him apart IMO.

Thread Information