+ Reply to Thread

Thread: With sights set on UFC title, Conor McGregor wanted fight with Ricardo Lamas

Default With sights set on UFC title, Conor McGregor wanted fight with Ricardo Lamas

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...-ricardo-lamas

When Irish featherweight Conor McGregor (13-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC), heard he was getting a new opponent at next month's UFC Fight Night 26 event (formerly known as UFC on FOX Sports 1 1), he offered up an idea for UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby: top-ranked 145-pounder Ricardo Lamas (13-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC).

"I wanted Rircardo Lamas," McGregor admitted Wednesday at a press luncheon in Las Vegas.

McGregor was originally slated to meet Andy Ogle at the event, which takes place on Aug. 17 at Boston's TD Garden. When Ogle was forced to withdraw from the card, McGregor was in need of a new opponent.

For the 25-year-old Irishman, the logic was simple. Even after just one fight in the UFC, his focus is on winning the title. What better way to get there than to beat a man many believe is the division's current No. 1 contender?

"I want the belt," McGregor told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "The title is what I'm after."

Unfortunately for McGregor, Shelby didn't agree with the logic.

"Don't be in a hurry, he was saying," McGregor recalled.

Instead, McGregor was given a matchup with Max Holloway (7-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC), and the pair now meets on the FOX Sports 1-televised preliminary card of UFC Fight Night 26. It's an intriguing matchup and could provide a proper step in the right direction for McGregor. After all, the 21-year-old Holloway is coming off of a loss, but he had previously strung together three straight wins.
    "I understand what the UFC is saying, build it up slowly," McGregor said. "But I want that Ferrari now.

"I'm a wolf. I'm the one doing the eating."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

It's all well and good that the kid is trying to get his name out there, but c'mon lol.

There are only two fights to make for Lamas: Mendes and a title fight with Aldo. Anything else is starting to be disrespectful to a guy who has taken on a murderer's row, considering the run he's had and after all these guys from LW drop down and cut to the front of the line, it looks really bad on UFC for ignoring his accomplishments. I know they're super business-minded when it comes to title fights, which is why KZ got the nudge over him, but after a while it starts to look silly.

IMO, a Frankie fight is a lose/lose for Lamas and he's already taken Cub out. Mendes is going to have to walk up a few more asses to get another title shot, beating Lamas puts him one out.

That said, I still really want to see Aldo/Mendes II.

I'll be surprised if he's not the champ in the next couple of years

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Kid learns fast. If he keeps winning he'll be on the fast track to a title shot soon.

i really like conor, but holloway is no joke either. one thing at a time or the hype train could crash real quick.
    lemme touch your feet

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information