+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 76

Thread: Dana White again blasts conspiracy theories, Sports Illustrated on UFC 162 claim

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    The UFC has quite a few African American role models on their current roster.

    Daniel Cormier
    Jon Jones
    Tyrone Woodley
    Bobby Green
    Rashad Evans
    Phil Davis
    Mike Eastmen
    Melvin Guillard

    The real disparity is when you look for Ginger Americans. Where are my role models to look to?
    We've got Shortfuse. probably my favorite fighter to come from the Ultimate Fighter and the guy that coined "Ginger Ninja" (which by the way I think would be a much, much better nickname than Shortfuse) He might not be collecting titles but the guy tends to bring it and represents the sport well. Theres a reason why hes still with the UFC and Grove isn't.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    We are not talking about black athletes in sports. We are talking about successful black MMA fighters that can be seen as role models which are very few and far between.

    You already have:
    - Chuck Liddel
    - Tito Ortiz (made a booboo - replacement (Ken/Frank Shamrock)
    - Randy Couture
    - GSP
    - Fedor
    - Arlovski
    - Faber

    There is a reason why fans who fall within the minority go ape shit when one of their role models become champion. Even from the pool of successful MMA champions how many of them are black role models? Take it a step further how many are African American role models? Go a step even further how many of them are in the Hall of Fame?? Needless to say the pool is a bit umlimited. 9/10 you probably can't count more than 5 but I would be surprised if you counted 3.

    At the end of the day minorities like to see their people succeed. This is why you see "Brown Pride" tattooed on Cain's chest.
    You go so far as to specify African American when talking about black role models, yet out of the seven "white" MMA role models you named one of them isnt white and three of them aren't American. You put too much emphasis on skin color. As an American of European descent I don't feel like I relate to Fedor at all just because of the color of his skin.

    Also, how much shit would hit the fan if GSP came out to his next fight with a tattoo that said "White Pride" on his chest? Gotta love all the double standards in racism.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,138

    Default

    I must feel as I belong so that I feel complete.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    You go so far as to specify African American when talking about black role models, yet out of the seven "white" MMA role models you named one of them isnt white and three of them aren't American. You put too much emphasis on skin color. As an American of European descent I don't feel like I relate to Fedor at all just because of the color of his skin.

    Also, how much shit would hit the fan if GSP came out to his next fight with a tattoo that said "White Pride" on his chest? Gotta love all the double standards in racism.
    You're not expected to understand how minorities think or why Cain V has Brown Pride on his chest. How could you? To you its simply reverse racism nothing more nothing less.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    You're not expected to understand how minorities think or why Cain V has Brown Pride on his chest. How could you? To you its simply reverse racism nothing more nothing less.
    And you're not expected to (nor do you) know how RearNakedStroke thinks. You just fell into the same trap RNS was describing.

    More importantly, the point is very good: Color does not equate race. Black is not the same thing as African American and Hispanics recognize that many of their people are not brown. The point is that your list emphasizes surface-level appearance and misses many of the facets of experience and cultural belonging that you claim to care about. I think that says a lot more about you than about minorities writ large.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Alternate Universe
    Posts
    2,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    You're not expected to understand how minorities think or why Cain V has Brown Pride on his chest. How could you? To you its simply reverse racism nothing more nothing less.
    Just to be clear...demonstrating pride in your race is acceptible so long as you're not White? How is that a guy who constantly claims White people just can't understand has such a grasp on what it is to be White?
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

  7. #57

    Default

    gentlemen, perceived reality is reality.


    rational, logical thought isn't going to work here.

    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    Just to be clear...demonstrating pride in your race is acceptible so long as you're not White? How is that a guy who constantly claims White people just can't understand has such a grasp on what it is to be White?
    Thanks for asking for clarification but no I never said white people can't be proud of their race in fact the world has been reminded time and time over. Rally behind whomever you want to for whatever reasons you want to just don't tell me I'm wrong for doing the same.

    If someone however accused me of ONLY looking at skin color I would probably laugh in their face then point out Jon Jones and Evans (2 fighters that I actively hate on). I would then also point out the Diaz brothers and Lesnar (3 fighters I have actively supported). I support plenty of fighters outside my race (ie Brandon Vera, Thiago Silva, Lyoto Machida, Robbie Lawler, Jacare Souza... the list goes on).

    I have already shared the values that matter most to me in a fighter:

    - Relation -- If I share nothing in common with the fighter I probably won't support them. Some only view this as skin color.
    - Upbringing -- I love supporting fighters that came from poverty
    - Personality -- I like intelligent fighters with charisma that can do their talking in the ring
    - In Ring Performance -- To me style and grace matters. I love a fighter that can entertain an audience while exhibiting beautiful destruction. IMHO not a lot of fighters have style but when you see it its a beautiful thing to witness. They typically have an aura around them that leaves people on the edge of their seats.

    I remember about 2 years ago Riv was accused of being a racist. He replied back by saying, "I have black friends..."
    Well shit I have white friends am I a racist?

    An even bigger question.. ,"Does having pride in your race while respecting others still make you a racist?" That would make me wonder why Cain trains with DC.
    Last edited by roaddawg; 07-21-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

  9. Default

    As your racist statements have time and time again proven, Yes, you are in fact, a racist.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,186

    Default

    Then by your standards I stand convicted.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •