+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White again blasts conspiracy theories, Sports Illustrated on UFC 162 claim

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Sir... in my world finding a successful black MMA fighter (an actual role model) is like finding a unicorn. Of course in a sport dominated by white people you wouldn't understand that now would you?
    Actually I don't use color as a part of the equation. It seems to be your primary criteria and possibly only criteria. An athlete is either a role model or he isn't, you know it when you see it. Additionally unlike you I don't know the color count for MMA, but I do watch a lot of sports live and on tv and I have to say at a glance there appear to be many Black athletes throughout sports.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Sir... in my world finding a successful black MMA fighter (an actual role model) is like finding a unicorn. Of course in a sport dominated by white people you wouldn't understand that now would you?
    Out of the 9 men's divisions... only 2 of the champions are white, GSP and Chris Weidman. I'm not going to get into all the champions of other organizations because there is just so many of them but how can you say the sport is dominated by white people when the biggest organization in MMA, the champions are, for the most part, not white?

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    Actually I don't use color as a part of the equation. It seems to be your primary criteria and possibly only criteria. An athlete is either a role model or he isn't, you know it when you see it. Additionally unlike you I don't know the color count for MMA, but I do watch a lot of sports live and on tv and I have to say at a glance there appear to be many Black athletes throughout sports.

We are not talking about black athletes in sports. We are talking about successful black MMA fighters that can be seen as role models which are very few and far between.

You already have:
    - Chuck Liddel
    - Tito Ortiz (made a booboo - replacement (Ken/Frank Shamrock)
    - Randy Couture
    - GSP
    - Fedor
    - Arlovski
    - Faber

There is a reason why fans who fall within the minority go ape shit when one of their role models become champion. Even from the pool of successful MMA champions how many of them are black role models? Take it a step further how many are African American role models? Go a step even further how many of them are in the Hall of Fame?? Needless to say the pool is a bit umlimited. 9/10 you probably can't count more than 5 but I would be surprised if you counted 3.

At the end of the day minorities like to see their people succeed. This is why you see "Brown Pride" tattooed on Cain's chest.

PS. You opened up this can of worms not I.

Quote Originally Posted by braddahmatt View Post
    Out of the 9 men's divisions... only 2 of the champions are white, GSP and Chris Weidman. I'm not going to get into all the champions of other organizations because there is just so many of them but how can you say the sport is dominated by white people when the biggest organization in MMA, the champions are, for the most part, not white?
    Consider the history of the UFC dating back to the days of Royce Gracie. I am not just talking about the "Johnny Come Latelies".

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    suprise suprise, trolldawg has his race card out again. Get a new gimmick fella.
    I'm not calling you ignorant but this is one of those times you probably should have read the thread first before posting. Please don't pretend I brought up the topic when I clearly replied to Grambino's post...

I know this gives you another opportunity for ammunition but you don't always have to squeeze the trigger like Zimmerman.
    Last edited by roaddawg; 07-18-2013 at 01:29 PM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

4. Default

suprise suprise, trolldawg has his race card out again. Get a new gimmick fella.

I think there is a legitimate conspiracy here.

I think the hacks at SI are colluding with dana. I think they're deliberately trolling with their stories which gives dana the opportunity to sound off in opposition. That puts zuffa and MMA in the mouths of more mainstream mopes, and as far as dana is concerned "no publicity is bad publicity."

But it wouldn't surprise me if they're in it together, laughing it up off camera.

oh, and roaddawg, Tito Ortiz was neither White nor a role model.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I think there is a legitimate conspiracy here.

I think the hacks at SI are colluding with dana. I think they're deliberately trolling with their stories which gives dana the opportunity to sound off in opposition. That puts zuffa and MMA in the mouths of more mainstream mopes, and as far as dana is concerned "no publicity is bad publicity."

But it wouldn't surprise me if they're in it together, laughing it up off camera.

oh, and roaddawg, Tito Ortiz was neither White nor a role model.

rh
    Good catch on Ortiz. He is one of the few fighters that confuse me when I look at him (as if his name didn't give it away). I have to disagree with you on the role model part though. Tito was loved back in the day then later on thrown in the garbage.
    Anderson Silva:

I would hate to see how things have turned out for someone who considers Tito their role model.

For the record, my role model is War Machine.
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

The term "role model" means different things to different people I suppose. It is about as subjective as a p4p discussion.
    For some minorities its all about making it out of poverty, getting fame, money and success.
    Last edited by roaddawg; 07-18-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    Anderson Silva:

The UFC has quite a few African American role models on their current roster.

Daniel Cormier
    Jon Jones
    Tyrone Woodley
    Bobby Green
    Rashad Evans
    Phil Davis
    Mike Eastmen
    Melvin Guillard

The real disparity is when you look for Ginger Americans. Where are my role models to look to?

As a guy who's also a boxing fan, the race portion of this discussion is, at minimum, troubling.

White fighters are disrespected to the tune of even movies being made about them in boxing. Basketball isn't much different. So, you find a sport that caucasions are actually excelling in and now it's some sort of major crisis?

Maybe I'm missing what's going on here in this thread but I personally don't look at race when I look at fighters.

The real disparity is when you look for Ginger Americans. Where are my role models to look to?
    Jason Macdonald???
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information