Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan Henderson explains decision to drop TRT before UFC 161

1. Default Dan Henderson explains decision to drop TRT before UFC 161

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2013/07/...efore-ufc-161/

UFC light heavyweight Dan Henderson was one of the first fighters to come forward and admit he was undergoing Testosterone Replacement Therapy. However, the 42-year old’s name was noticeably absent from a recent report on drug tests relating to UFC 161 where he suffered a Split Decision defeat to Rashad Evans, as the athletic commission overseeing the event revealed no request for a Therapeutic Use Exemption pertaining to TRT was received from Henderson’s camp.

Henderson shed some light on the situation in recent interview with MMAJunkie, explaining the choice was not necessarily one made of free will.

“It didn’t look like they would approve it, so I just quit taking the testosterone. I stopped about six to eight weeks out,” Henderson explained. “I was told by my doctor that wouldn’t be a problem at all. I wasn’t using that much, anyway.”

“I didn’t feel too big of a difference. I was a little tired here and there, but that’s not too different from all my other training camps,” he continued, comparing his level of fitness with TRT to that without. “My last couple camps, I’ve been having some problems with my chest, some asthma. As a kid, I had exercise-induced asthma, and I felt the testosterone made a difference there. But who knows?

“It’s hard to tell. I never noticed a huge difference. I just know my doctor says it’s healthier for me. I know I was getting sick less often when taking TRT, and I seemed to have more energy,” he added. “A lot of people seem to think if you’re on TRT, it’s like a wonder drug and you’re automatically going to win fights, or you don’t have to work hard. But I work my ass off with or without it.”
    The 29-10 Henderson concluded things by stating he’d resumed his previous practice of TRT treatment and hoped to get in another bout before the end of 2013. With his loss to Evans being his second straight, “Hendo” will be out to avoid the first three-fight skid of his sixteen-year career when he collides with his next opponent.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Good to hear he plans on getting back out there before the end of the year. As much as I like seeing Dan win, how about the winner of Glover/Bader? (Glover)

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Good to hear he plans on getting back out there before the end of the year. As much as I like seeing Dan win, how about the winner of Glover/Bader? (Glover)
    I feel like Glover needs a clear title-contention fight and Hendo is on a two fight losing streak. It's not a fight with the name recognition that he's used to, but I'd love to see Hendo/Boetsch.

I would love to see hendo and boestch as well. Hendo vs diet nog would also be fun. @anchor who was the heavyweight we wanted hendo to fight? Just remembered it was big nog.

Time to find a new job.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    I would love to see hendo and boestch as well. Hendo vs diet nog would also be fun. @anchor who was the heavyweight we wanted hendo to fight? Just remembered it was big nog.
    Good call, Miz. I think either Nog would be fun but I'm very excited for a Big Nog/Hendo fight. Something about the Pride era open weight opportunity. I guess my top two are both cross weight-class with Big Nog and Boetsch. But both seem like really fun and interesting fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Time to find a new job.
    Are you serious?

The man tko'd the GOAT and provided us with the fight of the year... less than 2 years ago.

What have you done in the last 2 years?
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Time to find a new job.
    Lol, what? Really?

Really? lol if you gotta pump your body full of synthetics to compete you have issues. Sorry if your hero is a fake I feel sorry for you.

Really? lol if you gotta pump your body full of synthetics to compete you have issues. Sorry if your hero is a fake I feel sorry for you.
    Umm.. did you read the article or even the title?

Thread Information