+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dan Hardy: “Fighter pay is really a strange situation…”

1. Default Dan Hardy: “Fighter pay is really a strange situation…”

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2013/07/18/dan-hardy/

One of the hot topics in the MMA world as of late relates to the amount of money mid and lower tier athletes are making in the UFC. Though salaries often look nice on paper, a number of outside factors are rarely considered when it comes to pay including the cost of a camp and the frequency in which a fighter takes to the Octagon.

Welterweight Dan Hardy understands the issue all too well, especially after being sidelined for nearly a year due to a heart condition calling into question his ability to continue competing. “The Outlaw” recently offered up his thoughts on the money he and his peers make, explaining it’s far more complicated than it might seem though he doesn’t fault fighters for being concerned about their financial futures.

“Fighter pay is really a strange situation, because there’s such a vast difference in the guys that are on the first three fights of a card and the guys on the last three fights of a card. The guys on the lower end are seeing what the main card guys are doing and thinking, ‘Well, I’m doing all the same stuff that they’re doing, sacrificing just as much.’ They’re spending just as much on their training camp, but they’re not getting the same kind of compensation,” said Hardy in an interview with Bloody Elbow. “The problem is that the fighters are in a situation where we don’t really have a great deal of options, as far as bargaining power. There are 100 guys that would step in and do my job for free. That kind of devalues us. There aren’t any options as far as where we can go and what we can do.”

“With the sponsor fees, it really limits what we can do outside the sport, as well. It’s just a very difficult situation to be in,” he continued. “Now, with there being so many fighters, the guys aren’t getting three fights a year any more. It’s down to maybe two a year, and it all just comes back to not having many other options. I can understand that the UFC has a business model, and their lower tier fighters fare much better than pro boxers, but it’s just not enough to live on.”
    Hardy went on to explain it takes more than a winning record or even the distinction of being a title-contender to turn a career in the UFC into a truly lucrative endeavor.

“Unless you win the belt or break into that PPV buy cut, or are in the very top tier, you just can’t get by with it being your sole source of income,” concluded Hardy. “Frankie Edgar recently fought and got a whole chunk of change. He fought really hard, and he deserves that money, but he didn’t start making that kind of money until he fought for and won a belt. I’ve fought for a belt, and I’m certainly not making anywhere near that kind of money.”
    The 31-year old Brit didn’t necessarily have a solution for the problem, though he did point to the $100,000 sponsor tax companies pay to get UFC approval as having an overwhelmingly negative affect on fighters who rely on those funds for their livelihood.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Basically he is saying the obvious stuff, unless you are a big draw or a super Top fighter, you will need a second job if you want to survive.
    MMA is probably the worst profession you can chose if you want to make a good living.

LOL and then Dana says stuff like "In 2020 we will be more popular than soccer" or "right now we are neck to neck with soccer". Hahahaha, in soccer you can not be even a Top 1000 player and you will make more money than some of the Top 10 MMA fighters in the world.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

#1 rule of Fighter pay = #1 rule of Fight Club

I am surprised more fighters don't do more public speaking or appearances for cash.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information