Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chuck Liddell: Playing it safe is the biggest problem in MMA

Hybrid View

Default Chuck Liddell: Playing it safe is the biggest problem in MMA

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...roblem-in-MMA/

MMA has a number of problems, including use of PEDs, issues over compensation, and it is still illegal to fight professionally in New York state.

However, former UFC lightheavyweight champion and current UFC executive VP of business development Chuck Liddell recently appearanced on Inside MMA, and said the biggest problem in the sport is guys playing it safe.

Liddell used UFC welterweight Georges St-Pierre as an example. Although it could be attributed to an increased caliber of competition, but there was a marked change in GSP fight resutls before and after his KO loss to Matt Serra.

In the nine fights before the Serra loss, GSP had three wins by TKO, three wins by submission (and a loss by submission), and three submissions. In the eleven fights since the Serra loss, GSP has had two wins by TKO, one win by submission, and eight wins by decision, inlcuding the last six fights.

"I'm probably not going to be popular with the fighters with this one, but my biggest problem is guys playing it safe," said Liddell. "I understand it from a coach's standpoint and a manager's standpoint. I understand why you'd want to play it safe and win the fight, win every fight. I get it. But do I want to watch a guy go beat a guy for four rounds and then ride him the fifth round not doing anything?

"You want to be worth more? Go out and fight. Have fun. Knock people out. Submit them. Beat them. I don't care. Just go try to finish a fight."

"That's one of the reasons I retired. To stick around, the way I was fighting, I'd have to start playing it safe. I went out on my shield. That's the way I liked it. I fought that way my whole career. I don't want to bore people my last three or four fights."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

2. Default

"Go out and fight. Have fun. Knock people out. Submit them. Beat them. I don't care. Just go try to finish a fight."
    That is why everyone loves Chuck...and he is right. Atleast try to finish

No mention of judging? Hah.

haha i'm sure GSP is gonna love this..

on the flip side.. chuck may have serious damage to his brain and it could very well affect his quality of life as he gets older.. is pleasing the fans and "going out on your shield" more important than being a fully functioning human being?
    lemme touch your feet

It truly depends upon what you want as a legacy, if you are willing to say you sacrificed it all for the fans then yes it could be. If you are content with just winning then risking that may not be.
    Guys like Ali who truly did give his all in the ring have been lauded as the absolute best while guys like the Klitschko's are deemed to be good but boring.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

Quote Originally Posted by deeznizzies View Post

on the flip side.. chuck may have serious damage to his brain and it could very well affect his quality of life as he gets older.. is pleasing the fans and "going out on your shield" more important than being a fully functioning human being?
    If you're riding out fights to prevent brain damage then you're in the wrong sport.
    A lot o fguys have looked at this scenario and hung em up and thats ok but if you're gonna continue to fight and thats where you're heads at then you might as well retire.
    You wanna fight for a living then fight to win. You dont then you can order the Payperviews like the rest of us.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Quote Originally Posted by deeznizzies View Post

WHABAM. this is dead on. but i think to chuck its important to him to be that one fighter that gave it his all... no matter the consequence. just my opinion though for all i know he regrets not retiring sooner and preventing some of the damage that it might have done.

they don't make em like the ice man anymore
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I appreciate GSP's style. It takes a hell of a lot of work and fight IQ to do what he does. When it comes to MMA, he is one of the greatest. I enjoy watching him shut other guys down and physically dominating them.

But.

I love guys who fight angry, who fight hard, and fight to finish. Nothing like that pure violence and aggression with technique.

Edit: and long live the Iceman.

Man, I miss Liddell flurries, overhands, and body shots.
    Last edited by m1ckeykn0x; 07-22-2013 at 05:14 PM.

I agree that GSP is more conservative but the only fight that was "without a doubt finishable" IMO was the Hardy fight. And GSP said after that he would have had to break a bone to do it and didn't want to.

Not finishing Diaz, Condit, and Shields is nothing to be ashamed of.

Thread Information