Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roy Nelson vs. Daniel Cormier Tabbed As UFC 166 Co-Main Event

Default Roy Nelson vs. Daniel Cormier Tabbed As UFC 166 Co-Main Event

Roy Nelson vs. Daniel Cormier Tabbed As UFC 166 Co-Main Event

A heavyweight grudge match between Roy Nelson and Daniel Cormier has been added as the co-main event of the UFC 166 fight card in Houston.

The UFC confirmed the fight with the Houston Chronicle on Monday evening.

Nelson vs. Cormier is expected to serve as the co-main event of the card, which is headlined by a heavyweight title fight between Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos.

Nelson and Cormier have engaged in a very public Twitter battle in recent weeks, with Cormier urging Nelson to re-sign with the UFC so they could hash out their differences in the cage. While the UFC could not confirm Nelson’s decision to re-sign, sources close to the promotion confirmed with the Houston Chronicle that “Big Country” has indeed inked a new multi-fight contract.

UFC 166 takes place October 19 at the Toyota Center. Other confirmed fights include Gilbert Melendez vs. Diego Sanchez and Tony Ferguson vs. Mike Rio.
    So I guess this means Roy has re-signed with the UFC. I'm glad these two are matched up and have an opportunity to settle all differences in the cage.

I'm leaning towards DC, but Nelson will certainly be motivated to improve from his last performance against Stipe. I think DC would be wise to mix in some wrestling to keep Nelson off balance because a stand up fight would be risky.
    Last edited by trustkill; 07-22-2013 at 10:05 PM.

JDS gets injured, Nelson fights for the belt.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    JDS gets injured, Nelson fights for the belt.
    HA. No

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

It's a fight I'll love to watch but I like both of these guys a lot, and have been a fan or Roy's since his entered the UFC. I do not want to see him lose twice in a row, especially after losing to Stipe, and I don't want to see Cormier lose yet either.

Cormier should be able to take as long as he doesn't eat a Big Country knuckle sandwich.

Cormier wants 205 title shot with Nelson win
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...th-Nelson-win/

34-year-old heavyweight Daniel Cormier is a man on mission. Just one day after the official announcement of his next fight, vs. Roy Nelson at UFC 166, Cormier appeared on FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight" with Ariel Helwani, and said following a win over 'Big Country' he wants a title shot, at 205.

Current UFC lightheavyweight champion Jon Jones fights Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165 in September, and Cormier wants the winner. Many believe that will be Jon Jones.

Cormier will make the cut to 205 gingerly, as he had to miss his shot at Olympic gold in 2010 when his kidneys failed in Beijing. Cormier was cutting weight to compete at 211lbs. Cormier is well into a long, gradual cut, and hopes to walk around in the 220 range, at which point a drop to 205 would not be problematic.

Cormier wants 205 title shot with Nelson win
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...th-Nelson-win/
    No. Nope. Nooooooonononononono. But par for the UFC course.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Well... even if DC loses... there's nothing like a good round of trash talking to put him in the title picture... am I right?

Cormier wants no part of Jon Jones. Stay at HW DC, its whats best for you.

I don't like Cormier getting the immediate shot. In part for the usual "what does it mean to earn a shot" debate, but also because I want him to test his weight cut before a title fight.

I hope the UFC gives him a fight first, even if it's a winnable one. Maybe if he beats Goose first it both tests the cut and makes for a good narrative about common foes.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

This fight makes no sense to me.. DC is a top 5 Heavyweight and although I love Roy, he needs to get a few good wins again before he has the right to face Cormier IMO.

DC dominates Roy and tko's him I think.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Thread Information