Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pettis: Henderson 'manipulates the rules' to keep title

Default Pettis: Henderson 'manipulates the rules' to keep title

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...to-keep-title/

Benson Henderson won the UFC lightweight title against Frankie Edgar in 2012 and has since successfully defended the title three times. Two of those title defenses he won via split decision, and at least according to Anthony Pettis, he won by manipulating the rules:

"I'm sure he's expecting a five-round fight," Pettis said. "He's the champ, and he knows he needs to win five rounds to keep that belt. GSP does it the same way. These guys are intelligent fighters, and they know they have to win the rounds to keep their belt. I'm expecting him to do what he's been doing. He's going to come out, do just enough to win the rounds, and keep his belt. That's his game plan, and that's never my game plan. I'm always looking to finish."

"I'm not a fan of that style," Pettis said. "I wouldn't even try doing that. That's just manipulating the rules of the game to keep your title. If you're truly the best, I mean, look at Anderson Silva. He got knocked out in his last fight, but I think he's truly the best because he's finished some top guys, and he does it impressively. He's not trying to grind it out and stay on top of you to win the rounds. He's out there fighting fights. That's what I respect, and that's who I want to be."

And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

So fighting smart is manipulating the rules? I guess I manipulate the law by driving safely. One thing is for sure, Pettis is not manipulating the rules of delivering an intelligent well thought out interview.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Strategy is manipulating the rules? Tell that to every military commander of the past 15000 years.

To not have a strategy going into battle is foolish.

Pettis failed to properly articulate himself.

dimerules28 Guest

I dont care about how ben fights... Its when he writes letters to the fans telling us why he doesnt finish fights... Basically saying we dont understand whats going on behind the scenes and in the ring. Nobody cares there bendo..

Everyone he's faced has always been difficult to finish.

Mark Bocek - One KO and one submission loss.
    Jim Miller - Had never been finished prior to fighting Henderson.
    Clay Guida - 6 Sub losses, the last of which was late 2009 against Kenny Florian. And a guy who beat Pettis as well.
    Frankie Edgar - Has never been finished.
    Nate Diaz - One Sub loss prior to facing Bendo.
    Gilbert Melendez - Never been finished.

Every fight he's been in with the UFC has always been with someone who was tough to put away. Of course it depends on the quality of competition the aforementioned fighters have faced.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    So fighting smart is manipulating the rules? I guess I manipulate the law by driving safely. One thing is for sure, Pettis is not manipulating the rules of delivering an intelligent well thought out interview.
    Wish i could rep you mate. Made me laugh out loud while i was reading that on the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Gas Bag View Post
    Everyone he's faced has always been difficult to finish.

Mark Bocek - One KO and one submission loss.
    Jim Miller - Had never been finished prior to fighting Henderson.
    Clay Guida - 6 Sub losses, the last of which was late 2009 against Kenny Florian. And a guy who beat Pettis as well.
    Frankie Edgar - Has never been finished.
    Nate Diaz - One Sub loss prior to facing Bendo.
    Gilbert Melendez - Never been finished.

Every fight he's been in with the UFC has always been with someone who was tough to put away. Of course it depends on the quality of competition the aforementioned fighters have faced.
    so if its okay for bendo to win by decision and its because "he fights guys who are hard to finish" - let me ask you this: why does GSP get so much hate for not finishing fights? All 10 of his fights on his title run have had a total of 24 times being finished out of their 260 total pro fights which mean his opponents have a combined avg of only being finished 9% of the time....

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    so if its okay for bendo to win by decision and its because "he fights guys who are hard to finish" - let me ask you this: why does GSP get so much hate for not finishing fights? All 10 of his fights on his title run have had a total of 24 times being finished out of their 260 total pro fights which mean his opponents have a combined avg of only being finished 9% of the time....
    That only works if it's the same person making the argument. If it's just some people support Bendo and some people don't support GSP, then there's no conflict.

Default Coach: 'Showtime' kick a fluke

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-kick-a-fluke/

Henderson's coach doesn't believe the kick was as spectacular as most think:

"It was a fluke," he said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "It's like getting caught with a punch. All the best fighters have lost, you know what I mean? How many times has Anderson Silva seen the Ryo Chonan heel hook? How many times is he going to see Chris Weidman catching him with that hook? If you're great, if you compete with the best people in the sport, you are going to have an unfortunate moment at some point. And they're going to replay it and talk about it, but it's just another moment. It’s one speck of time. There was 24 minutes and 59 seconds of that fight that still went on.

"The thing that I remember about the 'Showtime Kick' or whatever you want to call it, is that Ben got up and was on a single leg to finish the fight," he continued. "He was going to get that single. He was getting that takedown. It there's 15 more seconds, Anthony's on his back."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information