Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Stann replaces Joe Rogan for UFC 163 color commentator duties in Brazil

Default Brian Stann replaces Joe Rogan for UFC 163 color commentator duties in Brazil

Stann, who earlier this month announced his retirement from fighting to concentrate on his family and his broadcasting career, will replace the UFC's regular analyst, Joe Rogan, in the booth at UFC 163.

UFC 163 takes place Aug. 3 at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janerio, and Stann, a former UFC middleweight and ex-WEC champion, will work with regular play-by-play voice Mike Goldberg on the call. The news was announced on Tuesday night's edition of "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV.
    http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...ties-in-brazil

Meh.

I think I prefer him over Kenny Florian

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Let's give the guy a shot. I'm curious how his football commentary will go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I think I prefer him over Kenny Florian
    I just hope he says "high crotch single" every two minutes like Florian.

I agree, Stann is better than Florian but both are too dry for me. I like that guys like Rogan, Miletich, and Rutten are open with their opinions about fighters and camps; I think Stann and Florian are both a little to neutral in those discussions.

I'll play the ignorant fool... but isn't color commentary precisely about giving "color" to the narrative? And by that, I mean, not only pointing out that "he's going for an americana" but to add drama to the action... and my comment is more geared toward Kenny Florian, as I'm still undecided for how good Stann is at the role.

what happened to Frank Mir?? I actually like him during the WEC days, thought he did a good job explaining positions and didn favor any one fighter. It seem like if a Jackson fighter is on the card Florian sucks his dick the entire fight - even if they are losing. Brian Stann should be a step up from Kenflo imo

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Ginmortal View Post
    I'll play the ignorant fool... but isn't color commentary precisely about giving "color" to the narrative? And by that, I mean, not only pointing out that "he's going for an americana" but to add drama to the action... and my comment is more geared toward Kenny Florian, as I'm still undecided for how good Stann is at the role.
    Technically I think "color" refers to detail beyond the play-by-play, for example information about camps. It does not include added drama or humor as far as I know. But I like the guys that do.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Technically I think "color" refers to detail beyond the play-by-play, for example information about camps. It does not include added drama or humor as far as I know. But I like the guys that do.
    wouldnt the "color" part be Goldies gig then? While Rogan (or in this case stann) provides the positioning and whats going on in certain situations

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    wouldnt the "color" part be Goldies gig then? While Rogan (or in this case stann) provides the positioning and whats going on in certain situations
    Yeh, I'd like to hear the perspective of someone more knowledgable on this than myself. My understanding is that Goldie is technically the play-by-play guy. I think it's because he calls what's happening while Rogan talks about the why's and what he thinks the fighter is working towards or going to do next.

So Goldie waits for someone to be choked out by kimura before calling it, whereas Rogan might note that the fighter is or should be thinking about choke by kimura when they get into a position. But it feels like the two of them muddy that delineation quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    what happened to Frank Mir?? I actually like him during the WEC days, thought he did a good job explaining positions and didn favor any one fighter. It seem like if a Jackson fighter is on the card Florian sucks his dick the entire fight - even if they are losing. Brian Stann should be a step up from Kenflo imo
    He got in trouble for cursing on live tv too often.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information