Thread: Mark Munoz: “The day of weigh-ins I only cut four pounds.”

1. Default Mark Munoz: “The day of weigh-ins I only cut four pounds.”

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2013/07/...t-four-pounds/

Six months ago, UFC middleweight Mark Munoz came to grips with the fact he’d put on more than 50 pounds of flab while dealing with a bout of depression brought on by inactivity and injury. Rather than consider a return to light heavyweight or give up on his career in general, the 35-year old sucked it up and started working his tail off in the gym.

Fast-forward to UFC 162, and not only did Munoz show up in shape for his bout with Tim Boetsch but he came healthier than he’d ever been.

“The day of weigh-ins I only cut four pounds,” said Munoz in an interview with Fightline. “I cut it in an hour, I was done, and I was feeling amazing. I went to weigh-ins and I saw everybody like…in pain. And I was like bouncing around, like “Oooh yeah! I feel good, finally!’”

“And that was the culmination of losing 61 pounds and another 15 pounds on top of that, so that’s 76 pounds total in 5 1/2 months,” he concluded.
    Munoz credited his diet as having a huge impact on his ability to make weight in such an impressive manner, saying he’d finally realized his old practice of starving himself during fight-week to make 185 pounds had hindered his success. The practice clearly paid off, as “The Filipino Wrecking Machine” went on to beat Boestch by way of Unanimous Decision.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Munoz has done far more to earn his rematch than Silva has.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Munoz has done far more to earn his rematch than Silva has.

rh
    That's true in an absolutely literal sense. Munoz had a huge win since his loss to Weidman, so that defnitely put him back on track.
    I'm sure you're not holding it against Anderson for not rebounding with a win in the few weeks since he lost the fight.

Anderson has wins over Okami, Sonnen x 2, and Belfort - with a devastating loss to Weidman - in his last few fights.
    Munoz has wins over Boetsch, Leben, and Maia - with a devastating loss to Weidman - in HIS last few fights.

If your point is that NO fighter should get a rematch immediately after a decisive loss, then I can definitely agree with that.
    However, if your point is that ONLY the fights after a loss should count towards a rematch, I'm not sure I agree. Plus, I doubt that's what you think.

To stay on topic, Munoz DID look like a new man in his last fight. To me it seemed like he basically made Boetsch break mentally with that heavy GnP, which is saying quite a bit since Boetsch is known for his toughness.

Thread Information