Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC 168's Anderson Silva: 'I was so out of myself I didn't think about' rematch

1. Default UFC 168's Anderson Silva: 'I was so out of myself I didn't think about' rematch

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...-about-rematch

What prompted former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva to quickly change his tune about a rematch with new titleholder Chris Weidman? A little mental clarity.

Silva suffered a shocking second-round TKO loss to Weidman on July 6 at UFC 162. Immediately after the pay-per-view loss, which snapped Silva's 17-fight win streak and his string of 10 consecutive UFC title defenses, the 38-year-old said he didn't want a rematch and was done with title fights.

However, UFC President Dana White quickly promised the rematch would happen, and a week later, Weidman (10-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC) vs. Silva (33-5 MMA, 16-1 UFC) II was booked UFC 168 on Dec. 28.

So why the change?

"I was so sad with myself, with my lack of control on the moment, that I said some words that weren't nice," Silva recently told the Brazilian radio show "Mundo da Luta." "I said that I wouldn't fight for the title. But after I signed the contract (earlier in the year), Dana told me that he would give [me a rematch if I had lost the belt]. I was so out of myself that I didn't think about it."
    Earlier this month in the heavily hyped title fight, Weidman caught Silva after the Brazilian had dropped his hands and taunted the challenger. Weidman connected on a left hook and then battered Silva with a few follow-up punches to score the victory.

According to Silva, the fact he lost the fight didn't actually set in until referee Herb Dean raised Weidman's arm after the bout.

"I lost my focus and made a technical mistake," said Silva, who suggested his desire to put on a memorable performance superseded his goal to win. "It was one of the things that I left – the philosophy of the martial art –and it cost me the belt. I always fought with this felling of keeping the martial art philosophy and keeping the control of the situation – trying to be as calm as possible for me to keep the balance of the octagon, which is very hard to do."
    The game plan obviously led to some criticism, including some from Weidman, who could be seen on one camera apparently calling Silva a "disrespectful piece of s---" immediately after the stoppage. Even Silva fans complained and said the loss was more a matter of the Brazilian's showboating than anything Weidman did.

Of course, all the drama has led to intrigue for the rematch, but it's also put Silva in the crosshairs, which he said he understands.
    "The criticism is valid, but I'm human," he said. "I made a technical mistake, and it was good for me and for the people around me to learn. I had to be able to know that focus is always needed. I lost focus, and now I will get better."
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

This is odd to type but that will be our next middleweight champion. Anderson "The Spider" Silva!

Quote Originally Posted by orion_damage View Post
    This is odd to type but that will be our next middleweight champion. Anderson "The Spider" Silva!
    Doubt it, Chris takes the rematch too.

If the judges consider showboating in the scorecards, it might happen... it'll be a tough fight for Wiedman, but he'll still get the win.

Im very interested in seeing the rematch. I cant wait to see if it was a direct result of Anderson's cockiness OR if Weidman is actually that good. I cant wait!

heavily hyped title fight? i think this was less hyped than majority of title fights.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Doubt it, Chris takes the rematch too.
    as the biggest weidman homer on here(i was called a troll for saying he would smash sakara ) i am actually now nervous for the rematch.

I rewatched the fight yesterday and silva did a lot more damage and was much more active than I remembered. He was fucking around a lot weidman NEEDS to take it to the ground and keep it there. Silva hasnt fought seriously with his hands up in a while its a scary thought to think of what he is capable up if he does. By seriosuly I mean going out there and taking control trying to finish the fight from the second the fight starts instead of his usually successful strategy of making his opponent do stupid things by taunting them.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    as the biggest weidman homer on here(i was called a troll for saying he would smash sakara ) i am actually now nervous for the rematch.

I rewatched the fight yesterday and silva did a lot more damage and was much more active than I remembered. He was fucking around a lot weidman NEEDS to take it to the ground and keep it there. Silva hasnt fought seriously with his hands up in a while its a scary thought to think of what he is capable up if he does. By seriosuly I mean going out there and taking control trying to finish the fight from the second the fight starts instead of his usually successful strategy of making his opponent do stupid things by taunting them.
    This is why I think Weidman takes the rematch. Silva knows he did damage, he also knows he was fucking around and got caught. Weidman knows this as well. I believe Silva does what he always does minus the over the top clowning while Weidman works to improve and game plans a way to stop anything he learned from the first fight. Its almost identical to the Penn Edgar. The only difference is Weidman can and NEEDS to finish the fight as quickly as possible.

9. Default

Weidman didn't "smash" Sakara. Just sayin'

Let's put a stop to this argument before it get's started...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Thread Information