+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Rampage' Jackson vs. Roy Jones Jr. boxing bout targeted for year-end PPV

Default 'Rampage' Jackson vs. Roy Jones Jr. boxing bout targeted for year-end PPV

Viacom is expected to announce plans to go head-to-head with pay-per-view juggernaut Zuffa LLC and its UFC 168 offering at next week's Bellator 97 event on Spike TV.

An unveiling of Bellator fighter Quinton "Rampage" Jackson's plans with the promotion will likely include a pay-per-view boxing match with former multi-division boxing champ Roy Jones Jr., multiple sources close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

The fight is expected to take place at the end of the year, though a date and weight class for the bout could not immediately be confirmed. It's also unclear how the event will be branded given Bellator and parent company Viacom's focus on MMA.

"We've been talking to Roy and his people over a potential 'Rampage' vs. Roy fight for over seven months," a representative from Jackson's longtime team, Wolfslair MMA, told MMAjunkie.com. The rep requested anonymity due to the ongoing negotiations related to the matchup.

"If it happens, it would be an incredible fight," the rep said. "Boxing and MMA have both been discussed, and (Bellator Chairman and CEO) Bjorn (Rebney) has been in these discussions every step of the way. I can't say much more than that. We'll see what happens."

rest in article http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...r-year-end-ppv

This would be a great idea if it was free, it would actually distract a fair amount of casuals from buying ufc 168 however if they have to choose between buying one or the other, im sure with all the hype behind the silva weidman rematch that most will buy the ufc ppv.

PS its an MMA ppv, MMA organization and an article from an MMA news site. If this is supposed to be in the boxing section then my bad.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 07-25-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    rest in article http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...r-year-end-ppv

This would be a great idea if it was free, it would actually distract a fair amount of casuals from buying ufc 168 however if they have to choose between buying one or the other, im sure with all the hype behind the silva weidman rematch that most will buy the ufc ppv.
    I'll agree with that

I'd definitely like to watch it, but there's no way I would order it over a stacked year end UFC card

Anderson is crying...
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

If Silva and Weidman both make it to 168 without injury I don't see how Rampage/Jones would pull any fans away from the card. Maybe the boxing-only fans would give it a decent buy rate but I don't see how even people who are fans of both boxing and MMA would choose to buy that card over 168

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Anderson is crying...
    Haha I immediately thought "but what about Anderson?" when reading the article.

weight class is going to be an issue here. I thought rampage was done with LHW, meaning he wasn't going even try to make 205 anymore, and Roy was fighting <200...

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Lmao Page is gonna get lit up!

Page is going to complain that he's not allowed to take him down and wrestle. And he's dancing around too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Thamob View Post
    Page is going to complain that he's not allowed to take him down and wrestle. And he's dancing around too much.
    Love it!

Roy Jones Jr. is beyond old and washed up. He still should school Rampage though.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Anderson is crying...
    Yea this. Anderson's pissed off as a motherfucker right now.

EDIT: In hindsight, Roy Jones has had a plan to ca$h in by fighting an MMA star. When Anderson got KO'd by Weidman, the former plan to fight Anderson lost tons of value and Rampage slid into the picture.

Not sure if this fight will materialize but certainly hope that it does.
    Last edited by trustkill; 07-26-2013 at 01:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information