Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Rampage' Jackson vs. Roy Jones Jr. boxing bout targeted for year-end PPV

I am not even remotely interested in this fight. Two guys way past there prime. I don't even think I could watch another RJJ fight. I loved watching him in his prime but I think he is doing so much damage to his brain at this point I could not watch it with a clear conscience
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

2. Default

it would be funny if Page won that to me would eliminate any chances of Anderson fighting Roy. boo hoo..lol.

I'll be extremely interested to see where this goes from here....

Something that should be of note going forward with this, which has been a major problem pro wrestling companies competing with Vince McMahon's PPV juggernaut have encountered over years, is that by placing a major card to either compete on PPV against the UFC or to draw away a great deal of PPV buys with a free event may potentially piss off the major cable company.

There is an infamous incident in 1988, when WCW attempted to combat WWF's Wrestlemania 4 with a free Clash of the Champions PPV-caliber card on TBS, and it did a tremendous number and pulled a shitload of viewers and buys away from WM4. As a result, alot of the PPV carriers were REALLY pissed off at WCW and basically threatened them, that if they ever pulled that ploy again(which you'll notice, is why there were never 2 competing WWF/WCW PPVs afterwards), they may be kicked off PPV for good, as it cost them alot of money and the cash-cow of WWF, much like the UFC, is a huge source of revenue for PPV companies. On top of this, there are tons of antitrust and monopoly factors that could be very interesting if PPV companies balk at BFC taking on UFC on the same date and Viacom is obviously a heavy-hitter. I'll be seriously curious to see how PPV companies will react to BFC attempting to split buys or possibly draw PPV buys away from a UFC card, should be pretty fascinating stuff.

Rampage/RJJ is clownshoes to me, especially if it's a straight-up boxing match, I don't think weightclass is even an issue here, RJJ may be a tad over the hill, but he embarrasses Rampage to iconic portions. After an RJJ bout, I think we'll start hearing Rampage complain about boxers using the jab too much or some other lame excuse. RJJ would merc him.

That said, they obviously need the carny-draw to get the fans' attention, which RJJ/Rampage obviously carries. Chandler/Alvarez II could be pretty dope in a 5 rounder and they could sign up a bunch of really fun ex-UFC names and throw together a helluva card.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Love it!

Roy Jones Jr. is beyond old and washed up. He still should school Rampage though.
    RJJ would school Silva too. He is still a successful professional boxing legend with a wealth of experience.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

I doubt this will happen on the same night as UFC 168, if at all. There is no way in hell Roy Jones Jr. would do it on this night, unless he had no intention of ever fighting Silva. I guarantee someone from the UFC has already called him about this, or at the very least will call him tomorrow. Flat out if this fight happens on the night of the Silva/Weidman rematch, the UFC will never allow the Silva/Jones Jr. fight to happen. Someone screwing with the UFC by rates, grudged will be held.

My theory is that Anderson realized that clearly Roy Jones Jr. it much better at fighting with his hands down and just gave up on pursuing the fight. Rampage just went after it so he wouldn't have to deal with any of those "boring ass wrestlers"

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I doubt this happens. Rampage better hope it doesn't anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Horrible idea for a flat-footed guy like Rampage.

He'll be a punching bag.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

The only advantage Rampage and Silva would have against RJJ is the fact that they have better chins. Still you gotta connect 1st lol.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

rampage was completely out boxed by glover not sure why he thinks this is a good idea, glover is a good boxer for an mma fighter but not even close to the skill level of even an old washed up rjj
    Bow down before me as you will surely fall if you challenge me

Thread Information