Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Machida: It's not right for Cormier to 'cut the line'

Default Machida: It's not right for Cormier to 'cut the line'

During today's UFC 163 media conference call Lyoto Machida expressed himself about Daniel Cormier potentially cutting in line at 205, and getting a title shot, should be get past Roy Nelson on Aug 3.

“I believe that there’s a ranking and it should be followed,” said 'The Dragon'. "There are a lot of guys in line right now in the weight class to fight for a title. I’ve been waiting in line. There’s Glover Teixeira, there’s Phil Davis, so there’s a lot of guys in there in the mix.

“If he’s going to move down to 205, he’s going to need to put a couple of fights in, or at least have a significant win in a big fight. I don’t think it’s right for him to just come in and cut the line. I think he’s going to have to show that he deserves that title shot."
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-cut-the-line/
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

machida lost to jones already and had a chance to step up and redeem himself but he chose not to. he should stop whining.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    machida lost to jones already and had a chance to step up and redeem himself but he chose not to. he should stop whining.
    Everyone with sense chose not to. There wasn't ample time for training for a title fight. He didn't work his rear off to get to number 1 title contention to be forced into a fight he wasn't prepared for and IMHO that was a smart move on his part.

Machida got a bad deal and the funny part is he gave Jones the most trouble.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

I do think Cormier should have at least one big fight at 205 before getting to face Jones. I want him to have a safe cut to LHW, then getting someone like Rashad, Machida or Glover. If he was dominant I'd say he could have Jones, but I wouldn't argue if he had to take two fights before getting Jones. And that could be before getting a top contender in the division.

Machida gave up his spot in line but at the same time, no, Cormier shouldn't be cutting in line. He should have at lease a couple of impressive wins at LHW before ever thinking of a title shot. You never know, he might not be able to perform at the same level after a weight cut. If he gets an immediate title fight and isn't in peak condition he's really just wasting the champs time.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Machida is 3-3 in his last 6 fights, and could easily be 2-4, I don't know why he thinks he is in the front of the line. I don't think DC should jump to the front of the line, but I do think his HW win streak should jump Machida. Just because Dana randomly decided that Machida was knocking on the door for a title shot after he beat Bader shouldn't make it so. He is starting to get Bisping syndrome.

Goose is next.

If Glover beats Bader he should be after Goose. (beating Bader plus a legit win streak is greater than beating Bader and "beating" Hendo)

By the time those things happen, Machida could have made a real case for a title shot, but until then he should calm down.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Machida is 3-3 in his last 6 fights, and could easily be 2-4, I don't know why he thinks he is in the front of the line. I don't think DC should jump to the front of the line, but I do think his HW win streak should jump Machida. Just because Dana randomly decided that Machida was knocking on the door for a title shot after he beat Bader shouldn't make it so. He is starting to get Bisping syndrome.

Goose is next.

If Glover beats Bader he should be after Goose. (beating Bader plus a legit win streak is greater than beating Bader and "beating" Hendo)

By the time those things happen, Machida could have made a real case for a title shot, but until then he should calm down.
    I disagree . Beating Bader the way Machida did without getting touched is more impressive im sure than whatever Glover is going to do. I just enjoy seeing Bones getting punched flush and Machidas the only one that can deliever that in the lhw divison. Although I have been watching a lot of bones fights again and I must say the hardest he has been hit was those two illegal upkicks by Brandon vera

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Machida is 3-3 in his last 6 fights, and could easily be 2-4, I don't know why he thinks he is in the front of the line.
    He could also easily be 4-2, I'm not so sure about the Rampage decision. Let's call it even lol.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Everyone with sense chose not to. There wasn't ample time for training for a title fight. He didn't work his rear off to get to number 1 title contention to be forced into a fight he wasn't prepared for and IMHO that was a smart move on his part.

Machida got a bad deal and the funny part is he gave Jones the most trouble.
    my point is that he lost his title shot. he should understand that other guys in the division will get title shots ahead of him considering he had one TWO fights ago, got choked out cold, and his last fight was a controversial split decision.

my point with the hendo injury is that he COULD have taken the shot when it was there if he really wanted but know must wait in line because other guys stepped up and he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    He could also easily be 4-2, I'm not so sure about the Rampage decision. Let's call it even lol.
    he definetly lost the rampage foight he didn't do anything in the first two rounds. he clearly won the last round in dominant fashion but a three round ten point must system you cant win a fight that way.

In japan however machida would've definetly be given the fight but i think its hard to dispute that rampage won that fight based on the rules currently in place.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 07-26-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Goose and Teixeira are the only two near the top that Jones hasn't beaten the shit out of at this point.

I don't think it's a "what's fair" thing as much as it's a "WTF do we do here" thing.

Cormier has demonstrated that he's a legitimate HW threat, there's "beef" for those looking for it, there's a storyline for either fighter, and it's far more intriguing than seeing Jones beat the shit out any of those other guys IMO.

Honestly, though, I'd think DC would at least want a test fight at 205 before fighting Jones anyway. I'd hope they would put him in there with Feijao or Te Huna or someone he would spectacularly destroy.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Thread Information