Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demetrious Johnson: Future could hold UFC superfight with bantamweight champ

Hybrid View

Default Demetrious Johnson: Future could hold UFC superfight with bantamweight champ

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...amweight-champ

Right now my focus is John Moraga," Johnson told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "But I think if everything goes well with this fight and I tackle this challenge and come out victorious, everybody is talking about the superfights and middleweight with Anderson Silva and Jon Jones and 'GSP.' I think there are superfights to be had in the flyweight division and bantamweight division."

Johnson, of course, used to compete in the UFC's bantamweight division and even competed once for the title in that weight class, though he ended up losing a unanimous decision to current champ Dominick Cruz. But when the UFC added the 125-pound division, "Mighty Mouse" dropped to flyweight and claimed the promotion's first title in that division. On Saturday night, Johnson (17-2-1 MMA, 5-1-1 UFC) meets Moraga (13-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) in the main event of UFC on FOX 8, which takes place at Seattle's KeyArena and airs on FOX.

According to oddsmakers, Johnson is as much as a 5-to-1 favorite to retain his title, which would mark the second consecutive defense of his belt. While the UFC's flyweight division is still in its developmental stages, according to UFC President Dana White, Johnson believes his future could include moving back up to 135 pounds.

"When I fought at 135, I did pretty well there, and I think since my time being there, I've evolved as a fighter and got more used to fighting," Johnson said. "I think once Renan Barao and Eddie Wineland and Dominick Cruz sort their things out, if Dana White wants to do a superfight with us – and obviously if the contract is right, now, let's not kid ourselves – (I'd be willing to move up).

"I'm always up for that. This is about doing stuff for fun and tackling challenges and making history. I wouldn't mind being part of the first flyweight fight against a bantamweight."

FUCK! Can everyone just please shut the hell up about these stupid friggin "super fights" and stick to their own friggin weight divisions?!

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Apparently Demetrious doesn't know that it only counts as a superfight if people actually want to see you fight...
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

Quote Originally Posted by YukonJordan View Post
    Apparently Demetrious doesn't know that it only counts as a superfight if people actually want to see you fight...
    True dat.
    Just because someone moves to a different weight class to fight someone doesn't mean it's all of a sudden a super fight.
    If he wants a fight that would be super, he should have a catchweight fight against Alistair Overeem. Now THAT'S something I'd like to see.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagmadov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Johnson as interesting as he is to watch isn't necessarily a great sell. To be blunt it isn't really a Superfight till you've absolutely cleaned out your division and he hasn't exactly done that. Further a "superfight" is something that fans are salivating and clamoring to see, there has been no fight Johnson has been involved in that one could claim anything close to that.
    "Victims aren't we all"

"Give them Nothing but take from them Everything"

"Good Humor is like premature ejaculation, you don't plan it, it just comes to you"

Is Johnson basically admitting that the 125lb division is pointless?
    Legalize MMA in New York

Quote Originally Posted by IrishX(aka bornbear) View Post
    Is Johnson basically admitting that the 125lb division is pointless?
    It's seriously like watching children fight. I mean, Johnson and Dodson were sponsored by Xbox and Pop Rocks respectively. Children.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I don't see the appeal of a super fight with Johnson at all especially at this point. His division is by far the weakest in terms of depth and it's not like he's been in there for years clearing out the division like the other guys rumored for superfights.

Let alone he went down to 125 because he we was to small for 135 and couldn't compete with Cruz

losing and then dropping down a weight class winning the belt three fights in and going back is not a "super fight". very arrogant of him to say that hope he loses tomorrow.

Let's start with headlineing a card people pay to see before we talk about superfights.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Thread Information