Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chael Sonnen plans to drop to middleweight after Shogun fight

Default Chael Sonnen plans to drop to middleweight after Shogun fight

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-Shogun-fight/

On this week’s UFC Tonight, Chael Sonnen revealed details about a new contract and training camp, and Sonnen and Kenny Florian made predictions for this weekend’s FOX UFC SATURDAY: JOHNSON VS. MORAGA.

“I’ll return to middleweight after beating Shogun," said Sonnen. "There’re two guys I want to get matched up with: Vitor Belfort, because he’s awesome and he’s on an incredible roll. And Wanderlei Silva, who I’ve heard is going back to middleweight. The landscape has completely changed. I’ve got a new contract and I’m returning to the weight class.”

“I’ve moved to Southern California and am training at Reign with Mark Munoz. My new contract, which is a five-fight deal, was finalized today.”

Both Sonnen and Florian liked Johnson over Moraga.

“I’ve got Demetrious to win, but Moraga is the right guy for the job," said Chael. "He’s got one way to win the fight, if he can control the range, but it might be tough to do in 25 minutes.”

Florian concurred.

“Demetrious wins this one," said Kenny. "His pace will be too hard to match.”

The duo split over Jake Elenberger vs. Rory MacDonald.

“This is a dog fight," said Chael. "MacDonald is better, but Ellenberger is going to catch him. This is the fight of the night. This is my main event.”

Floran went for the Canadian.

“Rory will dictate where the fight goes, dictate the range, because he’s the taller, rangier fighter," said Florian. "He gets the job done.”

2. Default

He smells the blood in the water at 185, lol.

I know he's fought Anderson (twice) and Jon Jones, but I think he's crazy for calling out "Super-TRT" Vitor...
    ------------------

I think its a good move. If he beats Shogun its a huge win for him and probably puts him only a win or 2 away from a MW title shot depending on the landscape of the MW division after Silva/Weidman 2. Shogun has beaten plenty of wrestlers before though i'm kinda surprised he's the underdog with the bookies
    Favourites- Fedor, Randy, the Nogs, Renzo, Bas, Hunt, Igor Vovchanchyn, Lesnar, Chael, Jennum, Matt Brown, Taktarov, Pat Barry, Bam Bam Dewees, Hamill, Cro Cop, Cormier, Te Huna, Maia, Mousasi

Sonnen can be champion. I don't know if he ever will be, but he can be. His next shot will probably be his last though.
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

Quote Originally Posted by Bendeko View Post
    ...If he beats Shogun its a huge win for him and probably puts him only a win or 2 away from a MW title shot...
    In a world where zuffa doesn't whore out title shots to anyone who will sell a card, a win over Shogun at LHW should do absolutely nothing for a shot at the MW title.

sadly, we don't live in a world where zuffa doesn't whore out title shots to anyone who will sell a ppv card.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Whores
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

I like it. Despite losing to Anderson twice, he looked like a beast at MW, and now that Silva isn't a champion anymore (lol) he could justify taking another run at the title.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

He said he will move back to middleweight if he beats shogun, the title of the article leads you to believe otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    He said he will move back to middleweight if he beats shogun, the title of the article leads you to believe otherwise.
    I guess since he's not gonna beat Shogun, this is a non issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I guess since he's not gonna beat Shogun, this is a non issue.
    yep

Thread Information