Thread: Stann: Sonnen causing 'paradigm shift' in MMA

Default Stann: Sonnen causing 'paradigm shift' in MMA

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-shift-in-MMA/

Something Brian Stann realizes is that as the sport of mixed martial arts begings to grow, things will change, and one of those important changes for fighters is that they need to make their own fights more important:

“Jake and Rory is probably the one that is most exciting outside of the main event. You’re seeing a paradigm shift in mixed martial arts in recent years because of what Chael Sonnen’s done and Jake is a pupil of Sonnen. I don’t know if people have realized that with it being behind-the-scenes, but he is,” revealed Stann.

“Fighters are starting to realize that they have to make their fight matter. Boxers have done this for years where they go out and promote to sell their fight and Ellenberger has basically done that. He’s fighting a guy he truly does not like, and he has told him ‘I want to fight you’ and he’s been rewarded with Rory wanting to fight him with major title implications between two guys who are really, really good.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

The hyping works for me; the undeserved title shots do not. Sonnen should have changed the paradigm for the fighters, not for the fight makers.

Beyond that, I like the Ellenberger example. He's mentioned Sonnen in an interview or two. He seems similarly intelligent, thoughtful, and humorous. I'm a big fan but Rory is a monster. This is still the fight I'm most excited about this summer; I can't wait!!!!

Well I think the fight makers would argue they make the fights people want to see... And as a true mma fan you know more about rankings and such then the vocal majority. The vocal majority is not as educated or concerned with who earned it sometimes. That's the same reason Fitch had a hard time getting a title shot. He doesn't sell as many ppvs.

In short, if fighters hype themselves, and people want to see em... They'll get fights they want faster... It's not fair, but it is capitalism, and this is sports entertainment.

What paradigm Sonnen has exactly changed?

Maybe the only paradigm he has changed is that before, people had to fight their way to title shots, and now they know that they can just talk their way to it.

"You have to hype your fight so people become interested in you, and then you will have more money etc etc" is something that everybody already knew for many years. It is not something that Sonnen discovered.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

He might not have discovered, but he certainly is a master of the practice, and has very recently been more then willing to show how it's done to great effect.

Creating a professional wrestling persona and using it in MMA was a great idea.

Thread Information