Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White blasts UFC on FOX 8 co-main event performances of MacDonald, Ellenberger

1. Default White blasts UFC on FOX 8 co-main event performances of MacDonald, Ellenberger

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...ld-ellenberger

SEATTLE – There were differing viewpoints on the merit of UFC on FOX 8's co-main event, though among those within the promotion, the most forceful opinion came afterward from UFC President Dana White.

Following the FOX-televised fight, which took place Saturday night at Seattle's KeyArena, White specifically took aim Jake Ellenberger's (29-7 MMA, 8-3 UFC) performance at the post-event press conference. But Rory MacDonald (15-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) didn't escape notice, either.

"When you get these fights where guys talk s--t, those fights always suck," White said of the bout. "I think that for Ellenberger to go out and say [MacDonald] doesn't deserve to be in the top-10 and then not go out and try to prove that he doesn't belong in the top-10...Ellenberger literally did nothing.

"And in my opinion, Rory didn't do anything to try and finish him and put a stamp on it and make a statement, not only to the world, but to the guys that are in the division."
    Welterweight MacDonald, who's ranked No. 6 in the USA Today Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA welterweight rankings, unanimously outpointed No. 3 Ellenberger in a fight expected to have title implications in the 170-pound division. But the two hardly engaged over 15 minutes and were booed for much of the fight's latter half.

Prior to the bout, the two built the fight into something of a grudge match by sparring on Twitter. Ellenberger, in particular, was particularly vocal in attacking MacDonald's credentials.

But, as White complained, his "punch stats were almost zero."

MacDonald defended his performance by saying he took the opening that Ellenberger offered, which in this case was a jab he persistently used to score during the three-round fight.

"I think I did exactly what I was supposed to do," MacDonald told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I kept up my end, and he's a counter-puncher, and a very powerful puncher. I was waiting for my opportunities."
    As for the boos that showered the cage, the 24-year-old fighter said he wasn't paying attention.

"I was focused on the task at hand, and I was waiting for the knockout to come," MacDonald said. "I was being patient. I think I did the right thing. I wasn't rushing in like a fool or an amateur fighter. Sometimes, knockouts take a little bit of time. You've got to let it happen. I wasn't forcing anything. Unfortunately, I ran out of time."
    On the other side of the podium, Ellenberger was almost beside himself with disappointment.

"It just wasn't my night," he said. "I didn't pull the trigger. I really have nothing to add. I'll leave it at that.

"I respect the fact that so much strategy goes into a fight. Rory's been very respectful to me. But like I said, I'm just very disappointed in myself."
    At the press conference, White declined to say where MacDonald's win puts him on the welterweight ladder, noting that a pair of upcoming fights (champ Georges St-Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks and Martin Kampmann vs. Carlos Condit) needed to play out before the promotion maps out a plan.

Afterward, he maintained that MacDonald remains one of the best fighters in the world. But he made it clear that the fighter has some work to do to restore his standing.

"He went out and bulled B.J. (Penn) because he knew he could," White said. "He didn't try to bully Ellenberger. Don't come in and say my fight was great and technical and I belong in the top-10 and all this s--t, and don't go in there and try to perform. I don't think he performed. I don't think he did anything. He threw a few jabs and some front kicks.

"I don't think he moves down the ladder, but do you think anybody's screaming to see him fight again? Unfortunately, we live in a business where you're as good as your last fight. That kid's in a tough enough position as it is. He trains in Georges St-Pierre's hometown, where he trains, and everything is Georges St-Pierre this, Georges St-Pierre that, and the kid has to walk around and say he doesn't want to fight Georges St-Pierre when we all f---ing know he wants to fight Georges St-Pierre. But why would he go beating his chest saying he wants to fight Georges St-Pierre when that fight isn't even close to happening yet.

"But tonight was the night. Tonight was an important night that everybody was excited for, and yes, I understand that sometimes you know you're fighting somebody dangerous. F---king Ellenberger just sat there f---king two feet away from me and said, 'That wasn't me tonight, I wasn't myself.' So if you're Rory, and you're that f---king good and talented, then you imposed your will on him and show the rest of the world, not only do I belong in the top-five, I should be fighting Georges St-Pierre."

"(UFC executive) Lorenzo (Fertitta) texted me and said, 'This is terrible.' I texted him back and said, 'Ellenberger's freezing. He froze tonight. I don't know why, but he did. And when he froze, Rory did nothing."
    Ultimately, White said he hoped that the fight served as a learning experience for MacDonald.

"You don't want to put on a bunch of performances like that," he said. "It's not good for anybody. It's not good for him, it's not good for us, it's not good for the sport. Not good for FOX. Definitely not good for pay-per-view."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

It was pretty disappointing...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Damn.

I can't wait to see Rory's next fight.
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

The fight was very boring, but LOL, it is always so funny to see Dana ranting like a little child.

Ironic thing is that when somebody tells him that X fight was boring and sucked, he goes nuts and says "Oh you are a fucking moron that understands nothing about fighting shalalalala", however he rips apart his own fighters all the time.

And I actually also look forward to Rory's next fight. He may be not very spectacular, but he is very very solid and he is just 24 or something like that. For sure he is a future champion, not only he has skills, it seems that mentally he is very tough aswell, he may be a weirdo, but it looks that mentally he is not weak at all.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I like sports. In sports winning is the most important thing, and entertainment is secondary. I love MMA the sport. I hate bullshit like this interview.

Bud Selig doesn't get pissy when all star hitters don't constantly swing for the fences.

Rodger Goddell doesn't bash Peyton Manning when he hads off the ball on a 3rd and 1 instead of winging it 60 yards down field.

Same goes for the NHL, NCAA, PGA, Tennis, Soccer, or any other sport I've ever seen.

Now before I get somebody saying, "The UFC is a business! It has to be super entertaining at all times to make more money!", I will ask you this question, WHAT ARE THOSE OTHER ORGANIZATIONS?!?! Are they not businesses? The sport should survive and thrive on it's own merit, and nothing else.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I like sports. In sports winning is the most important thing, and entertainment is secondary. I love MMA the sport. I hate bullshit like this interview.

Bud Selig doesn't get pissy when all star hitters don't constantly swing for the fences.

Rodger Goddell doesn't bash Peyton Manning when he hads off the ball on a 3rd and 1 instead of winging it 60 yards down field.

Same goes for the NHL, NCAA, PGA, Tennis, Soccer, or any other sport I've ever seen.

Now before I get somebody saying, "The UFC is a business! It has to be super entertaining at all times to make more money!", I will ask you this question, WHAT ARE THOSE OTHER ORGANIZATIONS?!?! Are they not businesses? The sport should survive and thrive on it's own merit, and nothing else.
    Ultimately, I agree with you. I will say as a massive hockey fan the NHL is often tweaking its own rules to generate more offensive play in order to make the game more attractive to the casual fan. Coming out of the previous lock out they instituted things like making goalie pads smaller, removing the two line pass rule to allow stretch break away passes, putting in the no-zone behind the nets for goalies to make it easier to gain the offensive zone. But no, Gary Bettman never publicly lashed out at the New Jersey Devils or Minnesota Wild for being defense first style teams.

I agree to a point donosaur. I understand rules and I understand strategy. Sometimes decisions must happen but at no time did I see either fighter trying to a finish and b fight to win. It just seemed like rory was fighting not to lose and that jake couldn't do shit. I love technical battles but I don't think either fighter brought the killer instinct or tried to finish. When you fight, wrestle, do bjj, or box you imagine finishing your opponent with a ko, a pin, a sub etc. sometimes it doesn't happen but to me that should be the goal. Special note that I stayed up to watch that fight after being in a car for 21 hours with my family and sleeping about 1-2 hours.

ellohellzes at Rory being ranked #6 going into that bout.

dana's whining again? shocked, I iz.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    In every sport you mentioned, they have constantly added rules to make the game more fast paced, more scoring, more excitement.

Oh, and you can't compare the UFC against sports that have/are established and that have been around for 40-50-80-100 more years.
    Except football who made changes to allow for more commercial air time by slowing down the sport. That's even crept into college football, which is sad. But I agree with the thought, there are continual changes to improve revenue.

That said, I agree with you, Dono, that sports still need legitimacy through consistently applied rules. Fans are fickle, unpredictable, and biased so we don't let them choose who goes to the Superbowl. We focus to keep it interesting while objectively fair.

I strongly believe that a notion of fairplay is critical to the success of any organization; be it sports or a white-collar workplace. If the UFC loses that, I can't see how it will gain new loyal and educated fans. And, as far as I know, those are the type of fans that keep the NFL and NHL around.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    ellohellzes at Rory being ranked #6 going into that bout.

dana's whining again? shocked, I iz.

rh
    He was ranked 3rd by the UFC going in (and Ellenberger was ranked 4th)... Yikes!

Thread Information