+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White blasts UFC on FOX 8 co-main event performances of MacDonald, Ellenberger

personally, I didn't mind the fight. We all know how aggressive and powerful Jake is, to me it was impressive that rory shut him down the way he did. I don't need to see knockouts every fight, I don't need to see guys swinging for the fences. Sure rory could have been aggressive and given jake the opportunity to land a haymaker, but I don't enjoy watching professionals make stupid mistakes to feed the bloodlust of some fans.

I like a knockout as much as the next guy, but if there isn't a knockout i'm not buthurt either. Its crazy that Dana throws his fighters under the bus the way he does sometimes, this is a guy he will have to promote in another fight soon enough, he should be talking about impressive it was that he made a top fighter like Jake look so ordinary and took him completely out of his game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I like sports. In sports winning is the most important thing, and entertainment is secondary. I love MMA the sport. I hate bullshit like this interview.

Bud Selig doesn't get pissy when all star hitters don't constantly swing for the fences.

Rodger Goddell doesn't bash Peyton Manning when he hads off the ball on a 3rd and 1 instead of winging it 60 yards down field.

Same goes for the NHL, NCAA, PGA, Tennis, Soccer, or any other sport I've ever seen.

Now before I get somebody saying, "The UFC is a business! It has to be super entertaining at all times to make more money!", I will ask you this question, WHAT ARE THOSE OTHER ORGANIZATIONS?!?! Are they not businesses? The sport should survive and thrive on it's own merit, and nothing else.
    All the sports you have mentioned have changed rules inorder to make their sports more exciting. NFL has basically made it illegal to breathe on QBs or touch WRs. Just look at all the passing records that have been broken in the past 5 years. Marino's passing record was set in 1984 and no one came close for two decades. They changed the rules and 3 guys broke it in one year. And you are telling me Goddell doesn't change the rules to make the sport more entertaining.

The NHL completely changed their sport to make it more entertaining. Pretty much getting rid of the trap, setting up the trapizoid, allowing two line passes and shootouts.

So lets stop acting like for a second that Dana isn't looking at this like any other sports head. If the Ravens beat the 49ers by a score of 3-0 because both QBs got sacked 30 times, you better believe the NFL would have set rules that said people can't blitz till 3 Mississippi. Sadly this will happen to MMA one day too. They will make a rule that after a takedown you can only grapple on the ground for 30 seconds or some bullshit.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Sports are about entertainment #1, competition #2. Not saying i agree with Dana on this one, but putting asses in seats comes before Jon Fitches of the world getting title shots. You are in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    The fight was very boring, but LOL, it is always so funny to see Dana ranting like a little child.

Ironic thing is that when somebody tells him that X fight was boring and sucked, he goes nuts and says "Oh you are a fucking moron that understands nothing about fighting shalalalala", however he rips apart his own fighters all the time.

And I actually also look forward to Rory's next fight. He may be not very spectacular, but he is very very solid and he is just 24 or something like that. For sure he is a future champion, not only he has skills, it seems that mentally he is very tough aswell, he may be a weirdo, but it looks that mentally he is not weak at all.
    Dana just got an ass chewing from his boss. He was well within his rights to be mad.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I like sports. In sports winning is the most important thing, and entertainment is secondary. I love MMA the sport. I hate bullshit like this interview.

Bud Selig doesn't get pissy when all star hitters don't constantly swing for the fences.

Rodger Goddell doesn't bash Peyton Manning when he hads off the ball on a 3rd and 1 instead of winging it 60 yards down field.

Same goes for the NHL, NCAA, PGA, Tennis, Soccer, or any other sport I've ever seen.

Now before I get somebody saying, "The UFC is a business! It has to be super entertaining at all times to make more money!", I will ask you this question, WHAT ARE THOSE OTHER ORGANIZATIONS?!?! Are they not businesses? The sport should survive and thrive on it's own merit, and nothing else.
    Yes they are a business. Only difference is - they are not a business that lives and dies with the PPV market. Guess what sells PPVs - exciting fights. In the PPV market exciting comes before winning. The UFC isnt on network television every sunday like the NFL or every Saturday night like the NHL. Who will pay 50 dollars to watch that co main event? If that fight wasnt on free tv people would be up in arms with how terrible it was and the fact that they actually paid their hard earned cash to watch it.

WE'RE NOT HERE TO TAKE PART, WE'RE HERE TO TAKE OVER!!

I'm all for technical battles, but lets be real.. this fight was worse than a tim sylvia fight, and that is saying a lot. To me this wasn't a technical fight, it was a fight where neither fighter showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    ellohellzes at Rory being ranked #6 going into that bout.
    To be fair to Dana, they don't count the Champion, so that would make him #7 by our standards. Further, he recently mentioned he considers Nick Diaz truly retired.

I had him at #8 before that fight, so if you took out GSP and Diaz from that equation, I don't think #6 is unreasonable.
    I'm not sure where I'd have him now. I guess I'd drop Ellenberger down; I'd probably keep Maia and Kampmann ahead of him though.

8. Default

You can see it's Rory's training to fight not to lose as GSP has many of the same traits. Both fighters never pulled the trigger neither should blame the other as their both at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    All the sports you have mentioned have changed rules inorder to make their sports more exciting. NFL has basically made it illegal to breathe on QBs or touch WRs. Just look at all the passing records that have been broken in the past 5 years. Marino's passing record was set in 1984 and no one came close for two decades. They changed the rules and 3 guys broke it in one year. And you are telling me Goddell doesn't change the rules to make the sport more entertaining.

The NHL completely changed their sport to make it more entertaining. Pretty much getting rid of the trap, setting up the trapizoid, allowing two line passes and shootouts.

So lets stop acting like for a second that Dana isn't looking at this like any other sports head. If the Ravens beat the 49ers by a score of 3-0 because both QBs got sacked 30 times, you better believe the NFL would have set rules that said people can't blitz till 3 Mississippi. Sadly this will happen to MMA one day too. They will make a rule that after a takedown you can only grapple on the ground for 30 seconds or some bullshit.

Dana can start by changing if you lose a fight you can be cut out of the contracts, to me that's fucking ludicrous. Talk about enough pressures going into a fight.

To anyone who says that the organizations try to get more viewers with tweaks to the game: You are correct, but you are proving my points. The organization puts it on themselves to get more viewers. They don't call out individual athletes for not attracting fans. It is the athletes job to win, and it is the organizations job to make people care.

To the person who said that those other organizations aren't ppv based: You are correct, but they do get a nice chunk of money from ppv like systems. I paid around $300 for the MLB extra innings package this year, and I am about to spent around $600 between NFL Sunday ticket, NFL Sunday ticket max, and college game plan. I'm sure I will watch some shitty games along the way, and if I saw enough, I probably wouldn't order again next year, but I doubt Goddell calls anybody out because of it.
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information