Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dana White (again) defends flyweight division after UFC on FOX 8

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    It is not that I do not watch the Flyweights only because they are small, I do not watch them because I saw some of those fights before (including fights by Demetrious, Benavidez and McCall) and I was not impressed at all.
    Obviously they are fast, but they spend a lot of time just jumping around, throwing a couple of powerless punches or kicks and then moving, and I got very bored watching that.

There is a huge difference between a 155 division and a 125.
    I do not see the 125 division being a big draw in the near future, and it is not that they created this division yesterday, they created it over a year ago and so far it is a huge minority who likes this division.
    Pfff, and to think that there have been talks about a 115 division, LOL

As for boxing, boxing is a dying sport, and Mayweather and Pacman are the biggest draws because there is no one in any other division that right now is a huge draw.
    Even the Klitschkos are disliked by many people becase their style is not the most exciting to watch.

However in MMA you have plenty of draws in many divisions, so it will be extremely hard that people get interested in the 125 division.
    Fair enough, we all have our own tastes. Although you'd be the first person I've heard of that not only didn't enjoy the first McCall/Johnson fight but wasn't "impressed at all". And in fairness to the division, Johnson/Dodson fight did a very solid rating on Fox with the show peaking with the main event.

Quote Originally Posted by travtera View Post
    Fair enough, we all have our own tastes. Although you'd be the first person I've heard of that not only didn't enjoy the first McCall/Johnson fight but wasn't "impressed at all". And in fairness to the division, Johnson/Dodson fight did a very solid rating on Fox with the show peaking with the main event.
    so then doesnt it make it that much worse that the next time flyweights fought the numbers reached an all time low? obviously people were not eager to come tune into some more flyweight action this time.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    so then doesnt it make it that much worse that the next time flyweights fought the numbers reached an all time low? obviously people were not eager to come tune into some more flyweight action this time.
    It's possible. There's lots of other factors to consider as well. The summer is shits for ratings as people are usually out of the house on weekends, no NFL to cash in on for advertising, the main card wasn't as loaded with established fighters as other Fox shows have been and the contender John Moraga had never even been in a televised UFC fight. Pretty much a recipe for shitty ratings, I wouldn't hang it all on the flyweights particularly when both the Dodson fight and the Moraga brought it in terms of action.

I turned the main event off, can't get into watching little men fighting. As a huge fight fan I know it doesn't make sense but I just don't care for it.

Ive sat and read everyone's argument, and the only thing i could say is. If you don't like it, its a shame. Everyone by now knows im a bit of a phycial freak (6'9, 280Lbs) and i watch and think holy shit this is fun. i mean i love mma and watch a lot of fights but the bigger the guys the easier its gonna be to get your hands on a guy. These guys are quick and fast and come with power. I really enjoyed the mighty mouse/McCall fight, and enjoyed the fight this weekend. I thought the main event may have been one of the more entertaining fights of the night. And lets face it; for years the UFC stopped at LW and a lot of guys were fighting way over their natural size to do what they love to do. ITs going to take a while to fill the lower divisions as guys start to realize "holy shit...ok maybe fighting up isnt a great idea..."

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

I'm not a huge fan on off the 125lbs division. I don't know whether it's because the fighters are basically hobbits (when compared to myself) or whether it's just that there's really no one in that division that I care about and I hardly recognize any names in the division. There have been definately some good fights in that division, but I don't think I've made it past any title fight so far in the division without skipping at least a round or two because the style of fighting just doesn't intrest me that much. Yes, they are fast but since most of them don't have the KO power and with the cage being so damn huge it's just turns into this endless hit&run kind of a fight.

But it's still a new division and I guess in time there will be fighters to root for and fighters I will loathe. But in the meanwhile I think I'm still going to partially skip some of the fights..
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

Quote Originally Posted by travtera View Post
    It's possible. There's lots of other factors to consider as well. The summer is shits for ratings as people are usually out of the house on weekends, no NFL to cash in on for advertising, the main card wasn't as loaded with established fighters as other Fox shows have been and the contender John Moraga had never even been in a televised UFC fight. Pretty much a recipe for shitty ratings, I wouldn't hang it all on the flyweights particularly when both the Dodson fight and the Moraga brought it in terms of action.
    This right here is why I have zero interest in the flyweight division and why Dana's comments irritate me so much. According to it's proponents, including Dana, this is one of the most exciting divisions in the UFC. So why then, is the number 1 contender fighting on Facebook prelims?
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    I turned the main event off, can't get into watching little men fighting. As a huge fight fan I know it doesn't make sense but I just don't care for it.
    I know how you feel man. I normally go take a piss or get another beer when the little fella's get in the cage, but take my word for it, the main event was worth watching. Probably the best flyweight fight that I've seen yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I know how you feel man. I normally go take a piss or get another beer when the little fella's get in the cage, but take my word for it, the main event was worth watching. Probably the best flyweight fight that I've seen yet.
    louis g vs lineker was the best flyweight fight by far this one on saturday was a total beat down.

there have been some good fights at flyweight however there is absolutely no depth in the divsion at all which for me, makes it hard to take it as a serious weight class.

I love watching the flyweights. I think you guys who don't like it will come around eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Thread Information