Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rory MacDonald: “Another 30 seconds and I could have finished the fight.”

1. Default Rory MacDonald: “Another 30 seconds and I could have finished the fight.”

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2013/07/...hed-the-fight/

UFC welterweight Rory MacDonald didn’t win over any new fans last night with his effective but passive approach to opponent Jake Ellenberger at UFC on FOX 8. However, don’t expect MacDonald to hang his head low based on boos he drew from fans in attendance or criticism unleashed on the internet. Rather, the 24-year old was happy with his performance because it was ultimately a winning one.

“I did everything I had to do. I don’t really make a game plan. I react to what I see. Tonight I saw a power puncher who I kept on the outside with the jab and he wouldn’t engage me,” said MacDonald in an interview with Fuel TV after the event. “At the end of the fight I got him on his back, which was a dangerous position. Another 30 seconds and I could have finished the fight.”
    With the win – his fifth straight – the 15-1 fighter likely positioned himself for a title-shot in the immediate future. That being said, MacDonald went on to dismiss recent comments from UFC President Dana White assuring the public “Ares” would swallow his personal admiration for friend/mentor Georges St-Pierre if necessary to earn divisional gold.

“I won’t fight Georges. We’ll come to an alternative if it comes to it. I want the belt by the time I’m 25. But I don’t want to fight Georges,” MacDonald stated firmly. “I’d like to fight a Top 10 or a Top 5 fighter. I’d like to fight Carlos Condit again.”
    MacDonald and Condit were expected to meet earlier this year before an injury laid the bout to waste. The two met in 2010 where “The Natural Born Killer” pulled out a last-second strike-based stoppage to avoid a likely decision loss to the talented youngster.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

that is true but if there was an extra 30 seconds ellenberger wouldve probably waited for another 30 seconds to get the takedown to try and steal the round.

rory is a great fighter but is never the aggressive. he amazing at countering though but since ellenberger did jack shit to try and engage he just jabbed his way to victory.

Whatever happened to Rory fighting Condit again?
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Whatever happened to Rory fighting Condit again?
    they were supposed to fight on the same card as gsp and diaz but then macdonald got injured so hendricks replaced him.

Unfortunately I think Rory has gotten to the point in his career where he won't be finishing many opponents anymore unless there skill level is far below his. He has a jab and reach so he will use that to his advantage and become a decision machine.

Not a chance in hell he was gonna finish that fight.
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

Coulda woulda shoulda

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

What a ripoff that fight was.

I really don't like the way Rory handled himself in the post fight press conference. All I heard was him deflecting the blame to Ellenberger, and all this "if" nonsense. "If" nothing. There's 2 people fighting in there, and all the blame cannot fall solely on one fighter's shoulders when neither fighter showed up to fight. Rory was content with point fighting, just like Jake was hesitant to engage. If you don't see an opening, make an opening, but don't sit there and blame the other guy for not making it an exciting fight when you did nothing to make it any more exciting. And definitely don't bring up that "if there were 30 more seconds" shit. There wasn't and there's no way of knowing what would of happened because....it didn't happen.

At least Jake manned up and owned his performance (or lack there of).

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Coulda woulda shoulda
    Yep. Playing the passive game and then saying you "could" have finished the fight doesn't mean anything IMO.

All of Rory's excuses tell you exactly how he planned to fight. Rory fought to win under the guise of the rules. To win a competition rather to win a fight.

I'd rather watch a Fitch fight than watch Rory's performance.

Thread Information