Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rory MacDonald: “Another 30 seconds and I could have finished the fight.”

1. Default

Talks cheap and that was a cheap excuss for just point fighting

Coulda woulda shoulda. He did a bit of backpedaling when jake came forward. Neither should be considered top 10 imo. Idk but I'd like to see him face Lawler, he's like a new man at 170.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Neither should be considered top 10 imo.

I was at the event and I was largely sold on the show based on Ellenberger vs. Macdonald... Even as a fellow British Columbian with my hometown glasses on I can't call Rory's performance as anything but play it safe. As for Ellenberger's performances, I really have no words to describe. I'm probably not as annoyed with the way the fight played out because as a Rory Macdonald fan I got the result I was looking for but even then it was less than satisfying. I have no doubt that both fighters are top ten guys, I think it was just a case of an unforeseen poor style clash, an off night for both guys or a combination of such.

As much as I love Robbie Lawler, to be fair I'm pretty certain both Ellenberger and Rory would have stopped Voelker, who came in on 2 weeks notice, in a similar violent fashion. If I'm playing match maker I'd give Lawler the winner of Kampman/Condit and give Rory and Ellenberger a mix of Koscheck, Pierce, Saffiedine or Woodley.

My question is, does Firas Zahabi inherit the "fucking sport killer" label from Greg Jackson from wrath of MMA fans for game planning a play it safe style for his fighters?

And lastly God damn it does the between fight music suck at UFC events. Enough with the beat/rock remixes! Maybe I'm just getting old! Ha. I do however enjoy me the Baba O'Riley highlight package at the start of the main card.

Quote Originally Posted by travtera View Post
    I was at the event and I was largely sold on the show based on Ellenberger vs. Macdonald... Even as a fellow British Columbian with my hometown glasses on I can't call Rory's performance as anything but play it safe. As for Ellenberger's performances, I really have no words to describe. I'm probably not as annoyed with the way the fight played out because as a Rory Macdonald fan I got the result I was looking for but even then it was less than satisfying. I have no doubt that both fighters are top ten guys, I think it was just a case of an unforeseen poor style clash, an off night for both guys or a combination of such.

As much as I love Robbie Lawler, to be fair I'm pretty certain both Ellenberger and Rory would have stopped Voelker, who came in on 2 weeks notice, in a similar violent fashion. If I'm playing match maker I'd give Lawler the winner of Kampman/Condit and give Rory and Ellenberger a mix of Koscheck, Pierce, Saffiedine or Woodley.

My question is, does Firas Zahabi inherit the "fucking sport killer" label from Greg Jackson from wrath of MMA fans for game planning a play it safe style for his fighters?

And lastly God damn it does the between fight music suck at UFC events. Enough with the beat/rock remixes! Maybe I'm just getting old! Ha. I do however enjoy me the Baba O'Riley highlight package at the start of the main card.

I agree about Voelker but finishing Kos the way he did was impressive.I was really looking forward to him fighting Siyar too. Condit/Kampman winner sounds good to me. Alves if he'd stay healthy as well but Alves is a devestating technical striker who could probably finish Lawler if he stood with him.

In a weird way, this fight showed that the Flyweights are very exciting and always put on a show since it overshadowed the main event. Before the event it was all about the the co-main but now everyone see's that the FW, or at least Mighty Mouse can be a household name in the future.
    "Anger causes many things, baldness, impotence, waking up in the middle of the night with your hands covered in blood and you don’t know what happened. Hey, I’ve been around.” - Bas Rutten (GTA 4)

I didn't really have a problem with Rory's performance. He wasn't fighting a scrub on Saturday night, he fought a top 10 fighter in Ellenberger very well and basically shut him out. Rory did a good job, it was a safe fight and not fun fight to watch, but against a homerun hitter like Jake, you kinda have to pitch him safely so not to be placed in explicit danger.

Stylistically, the fight didn't do either guys any favours since Rory wasn't going to give Jake any looks to land his power shots and had superior all around technique and could simply outwork him. While contrarily, Jake didn't want to swing for the fences at the risk of being countered and wanted to conserve his cardio(both of which I think Rory was aiming to exploit as the fight progressed, which would've made for a more exciting fight). What that ultimately equated to was two fighters looking to get into a top 3 contendership spot and not looking to step outside of their comfort zone.

From listening to Meltzer, it sounds as though if Kampmann beats Condit and GSP retains, they may look to put him into the title shot position ahead of Rory.

^^^

I'd rep you for this but I just gave you rep for something else.

I completely agree.
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

Thread Information