Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vitor Belfort turns down Tim Kennedy Middleweight fight, only wants title shot at 185

Hybrid View

1. Default Vitor Belfort turns down Tim Kennedy Middleweight fight, only wants title shot at 185

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/7/28/45...own-brazil-mma

Thanks, but no thanks.

With three Middleweight (technical) knockout wins over Yoshihiro Akiyama, Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold, Vitor Belfort is adamant that he has has earned another 185-pound Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) title shot. Even if division champion, Chris Weidman, and former weight class king, Anderson Silva, are tied up until the end of the year and possibly longer.

According to SportTV.Globo.com, Belfort turned down a recent offer to fight Tim Kennedy in a Middleweight mixed martial arts (MMA) scrap planned for a future event in Brazil. His wife and manager, Joana Prado, indicated that "The Phenom" has no desire to endure a rigorous weight cut unless a championship opportunity is on the line.

He will, however, take "catch weight" fights like he had done in the past against Rich Franklin and Anthony Johnson, whether it's against Kennedy or even Roy Nelson. The last name is more than likely just an indication that the Brazilian is willing to fight at Heavyweight if the right opportunity comes along.

Kennedy, meanwhile, was planning to fight Belfort next, taking to Twitter.com shortly after news broke about the potential clash to say, "I'm going to Brazil to fight Vitor! I'm bringing ranger panties, Greg Jackson and Ranger Up." Whether or not he -- or the promotion for that matter -- is willing to make it a pair of 205-pound panties remains to be seen.

Belfort truly feels that "nobody deserves the opportunity more than him" to fight Weidman next, while UFC President Dana White continues to describe the No. 2-ranked division contender "out of his mind."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

No title fights for you if you can only fight in Brazil buddy.

I dont blame him for turning down Kennedy. I would have held out for a title fight too.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    I dont blame him for turning down Kennedy. I would have held out for a title fight too.
    It was a VERY winnable fight, in his hometown, with the use of his TRT, and given that he makes like $250k purse, an easy paycheck as well.

He fought in April, and if the Weidman/Silva rematch is Dec. 28, Vitor won't be fighting again after a full year. If lots of people say if a champ dont defend his title in a year, he should be stripped of it. I think the same should apply to a #1 contender.

If the winner of Munoz/Bisping fights again in Jan-Feb and wins again, they may just move up the line as the next contender. Same applies for Okami/Jacare winner.

Vitor may be a great fighter, but certainly not the smartest individual.

I agree with his decision what if he gets injured or something in this pointless fight? im not one for turning down fights but this to me is an appriate time to do so. kennedy is a huge step down from rockhold and bisping.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I agree with his decision what if he gets injured or something in this pointless fight? im not one for turning down fights but this to me is an appriate time to do so. kennedy is a huge step down from rockhold and bisping.
    A huge step down? Really? He lost a decision to rockhold and has won two straight albeit the last one in very boring fashion. I don't like Vitor, I don't like TRT, and I don't like guys who say they want a title shot or they aren't fighting in the division. I wish more guys would be of the mindset of keep winning and there is no way you can't get a title shot. Jon Fitch excluded of course.
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

Maybe not a title fight, but he deserves a bigger step up than Kennedy. Maybe a number one contender fight.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Who is better then Kennedy that is coming off a win at 185 that isn't tied up then?
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

Quote Originally Posted by beardown98 View Post
    Who is better then Kennedy that is coming off a win at 185 that isn't tied up then?
    Anybody
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

If I was Vitor if the title fight wasn't an option I would rather fight someone more marketable like Jacare Souza who just came off an impressive victory. Tim just picked up a very shitty win over Roger Gracie (a fight that was more boring than the Ellenberger/MacDonald fight to me).

Yes... I know the history between Kennedy and Souza.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Thread Information