Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vitor Belfort turns down Tim Kennedy Middleweight fight, only wants title shot at 185

Kennedy is a big step down when Vitor has earned a step up; but I think a lot of people assumed that was a gimme fight while the title is being held out. But now Vitor, while never promised a title shot, is turning down other options. This is not going to help him with DW and the UFC. And saying the weight cut is too hard is ridiculous. If you can't make weight, go to a higher weight class.

What's really interesting to me is the comparison of situations. DW explicitly said Vitor was NOT in line for the title prior, but now he's refusing anything else. And yet the same people here who called Weidman "entitled" for complaining about DW declaring him the #1 contender and then not getting the shot are now supporting Vitor...

Vitor "The Diva" Belfort.

I don't see how he's being a diva by not fighting the #10 guy when he is #3.

If anything, he should be mocked for his lack of insight for what will happen in the New Year when Anderson is champ again.

3. Default

Playing contender in two div. I can see Vitors point, and his weight cut issuies are some what valid. I would be happy with some catch fights with imput on a div ranking, but he sould fight in America

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    I don't see how he's being a diva by not fighting the #10 guy when he is #3.

If anything, he should be mocked for his lack of insight for what will happen in the New Year when Anderson is champ again.
    Maybe I'm guilty of fighter bashing here. But when I call him a diva, I'm referring to his refusal to cut weight unless it's for a title fight. To me, that's pretty ridiculous; you're either in the weight class and serious or you're not.

Vitor is in no way a contender in LHW any longer. Let's not pretend.

Problem here is that the next title fight is Anderson vs Weidman and it will happen in december.
    Vitor is going to prefer wait one full year before fighting again? And what if he gets injured? What if his opponent gets injured?
    Tim kennedy is not a very risky fight for him, Vitor is much stronger, and plus he will be fighting on TRT and in Brazil. It is an extremely winnable fight for him.

I would understand if he said that he does not want Kennedy but instead he wants a bigger name or a bigger challenge, but he is saying that he wants the title shot and only that. Well, then he can wait at least 9 or 10 more months.

Or another possibility is that Vitor is hoping that Anderson gets injured and pulls out of the fight, so UFC gives him the title match against Weidman in december.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I heard Philippou is looking for a fight...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I like pashak's last sentence where he says vitor could be waiting to see if Anderson gets injured, but if that was the case wouldn't be choose to fight Kennedy on that card or wait maybe be will ask for a catch weight on that card but it is not a brazil card.

I'm fine with waiting if a guy has unquestionably earned his title shot like Weidman and Hendricks did (Hendricks didn't sit though). Vitor hasn't really done that, and he has too many question marks. There really needs to be a system for how title shots work. If the champ is busy, then the other contenders should know what they need to do to be next.

Example: Who ever is ranked highest when the champ is ready gets the shot. If fighter C decides to sit and wait for his shot (assuming fighter A & B are the champ & #1 contender & they are fighing each other), he should know exactly who he has to beat to keep his position. If fighter D & E are fighting, then fighter C should be informed, via some sort of points system, that he will be leapfrogged by the win if he doesn't defeat either fighter F, G, or H (just an example). If he decides to fight the lowest ranked guy possible that will maintain his position then he should be informed that if he is upset then it will take substantially longer to get back into contention (I like to think that this would safe guard against guys ducking other top guys). MMA is a sport, and in sports people/teams have to earn their championship chances. Vitor should be told that if he sits for 9 months (at least if he plans to wait for the next time the champ is ready to fight), & Mark Munoz (example) goes out and wins two more fights against top contenders then he will be ahead of Vitor. That way there is no surprise, no outrage, and no unearned shots. Imagine if the Patriots win their first playoffs game, and then refused to play in the AFC championship because they feel like they've already earned their superbowl spot. Does that sound ridiculous? If you answered yes then you would be correct, and it is just as ridiculous in MMA. Boxing and MMA are the only sports where it isn't clear what is needed to make it to the championship (college football kinda too sometimes), and that desperately needs to change. Unless people want a impulsive hot head to continue to decide who gets title opportunities.
    Last edited by The Donosaur; 07-29-2013 at 03:03 AM.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I heard Philippou is looking for a fight...
    And that would be a good fight actually.
    But Vitor would never accept it.

Being said that, make Philippou vs Kennedy
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information