+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vitor Belfort turns down Tim Kennedy Middleweight fight, only wants title shot at 185

From my standpoint, this has huge potential to backfire on Vitor.

IMO, Vitor isn't getting any younger(36 now, 37 in April) and with Weidman/Silva being in December, that means Vitor will be hanging out on the sidelines for almost a year(which could have its drawbacks and possible benefits -like, giving him more time to play with his chemistry set) before he were to get a title shot-and that is also highly contingent on Weidman retaining, because I don't think there's a really big desire for Vitor/Anderson II if ZUFFA can instead squeeze Bisping into the contendership with a win over Munoz, which would probably do far better business than Vitor. Also keep in mind, that by the time Weidman/Silva II happens, the winner of Okami/Jacare will have arguably an equally hot hand as Vitor without the innuendo surrounding them.

That's two(Bisping & winner of Okami/Jacare) potential title contenders who will have been far more present stance in Dana's mind and there's a chance that the winner of Jacare/Okami takes another fight, possibly against Consta(who really deserves a top tier fight and will himself be coming off a major layoff), which would put the winner of that bout ahead of the line. Okami isn't a sexy title contender and is a hard sell and has already been handedly beaten by Anderson, so I think Bisping, a winning Jacare or a winning Consta will be making a very strong argument, all the while Vitor would be sitting out? That doesn't sound like a solid plan, especially with the primacy and recency mindframe of ZUFFA's title booking.

Now, I don't mind Vitor turning down the Kennedy fight per se, because while a gamer, Tim really hasn't had a great win since the Lawler and Manhoef bouts and really isn't sniffing top contendership at this stage of his career. If Vitor gets offered Consta(I'm of the mindframe that ZUFFA really wants to keep Vitor active and use his drawing power in Brazil) and turns it down, I think that'd look really bad, because that's a top contender on a streak and a win there, would solidify the winner as a MW challenger.

Endgame for me, I think Vitor would be silly to wait out Weidman/Silva II, risking alot as he very easily might get passed by(I'm thinking they hotshot Bisping into a title shot if he beats Munoz) and Vitor would probably do himself a huge favour by keeping busy with a fight against either Consta or winner of Okami/Jacare, maybe even a vanity fight of lesser-risk like Cung or Wand II, but think Vitor would be best suited to keep busy, keep the highlight reel finishes coming and keep in ZUFFA's A)good books and B)forefront of their matchmaking minds. Vitor's only a punk if he turns down a Consta fight or the winner of Jacare/Okami, otherwise, I think it is predominantly his best interest at stake.

what has vitor done that gives him the right to turn down fights?

September 27, 2014

I actually would prefer if they scrapped this fight and gave Vitor someone like winner of Jacare/Okami or Munoz (if he beats Bisping). I don't want to see Kennedy or Vitor lose to the other right now.

Yes, it definitely can backfire on him. It has happened to other fighters. Machida for example.

IMO Vitor should fight the winner of Okami and Jacare in december
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I think Vitor should have a fight lined up around the same time Anderson/Weidman is set to take place, that way he can fill in for any injury, and at the very least be ready to challenge the winner if he himself gets the Win in the fight. Put both fights on the same card,set up the stare down in the cage after the title fight.

As for someone to fight Vitor, it's slim pickings atm in his division, Cung Le?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

If only we could slap a new chin on Wandy, give him some TRT, and then make the Vitor rematch in Brazil at LHW.

Oh, the violence...

Quote Originally Posted by beardown98 View Post
    Who is better then Kennedy that is coming off a win at 185 that isn't tied up then?
    Anybody
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    what has vitor done that gives him the right to turn down fights?
    His only loss at MW since 2009 is against Anderson Silva.
    Aside of that loss, he has won 5 times, he has finished the 5 fights, 4 of them by KO.
    He has been the only one who almost defeated Jon Jones aswell.

To me, he has earned his right to turn down a fight against Tim Kennedy who is not even in the Top 10.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    His only loss at MW since 2009 is against Anderson Silva.
    Aside of that loss, he has won 5 times, he has finished the 5 fights, 4 of them by KO.
    He has been the only one who almost defeated Jon Jones aswell.

To me, he has earned his right to turn down a fight against Tim Kennedy who is not even in the Top 10.
    If he believes hes the best the rank should be irrelevant. I hate when fighters openly turn down fights and say stupid things like "im only going to cut weight if its for the title if not im not fighting." What happens if he some how manages to become champion, will he bitch about the weight cut and then turn down fights then?? If you believe you are championship material the opponent shouldnt matter.

September 27, 2014

Come on fellas? Do y'all really think Vitor is going to say NO to uncle Dana? This is just posturing on his part to get a better deal/fight. I think the winner of Bisping/Munoz or Jacare/Okami makes more sense. I'd love to see him and Cung Le fight before they retire, or how about that Wandi fight that didn't happen? Lots of options for him, he's just making noise now to get into a better position. He will do whatever Dana asks him to do, that should be a given.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information