+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unified Rules could change to include some knees, kicks to grounded opponent

Default Unified Rules could change to include some knees, kicks to grounded opponent

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/7/29...ks-to-grounded

uring the 2013 annual Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC) meeting, the group will reexamine rules which disallow kicks and knees to a grounded opponent, specifically in the instance where a fighter intentionally grounds himself.

The group is expected to consider a change on July 31, the final day of the convention, according to notes provided by Nick Lembo of the New Jersey Athletic Control Board. The ABC is made up of members of state and tribal athletic commissions across the United States and Canada, and provides the framework for MMA and boxing rules and regulations.

The rule change, which is co-authored by Nevada's Keith Kizer, Ohio's Bernie Profato, and New Jersey's Lembo, would address instances where a fighter appears to be attempting to draw a foul from his opponent.

If the rule passes, it would be put into play and clearly explained to fighters at rules meetings.

It reads as follows:

"Referees should instruct the fighters that they may still be considered a standing fighter even if they have a finger or portion of the hand (or entire hand) on the canvas. In the discretion of the referee, a fighter who has a finger or hand on the canvas may still be legally struck in the head with knees and kicks. The referee may decide that the downed fighter is placing his or her finger or hand down without doing so for an offensive or countering maneuver in an attempt to advance or improve their position. The referee may decide that the downed fighter is instead simply trying to draw a foul. If the referee decides that the fighter is "touching down" simply to benefit from a foul, the referee may consider that fighter a standing fighter and decide that no foul has occurred."

In addition to that, the referee would have the discretion to penalize the offending fighter for timidity through either a warning or point deduction.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I'm pretty sure I've heard this before. Like once a year for the last 8 or 9 years...

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

I think having this be a refs call is a stupid decision. Make it legal or don't, giving the power to a 3rd part is gonna make for some controversy in the future it it ends up happening.

although i miss pride dearly, i think this is a terrible idea. it wont fly in america the sport still has a target on its back for being "barbaric" in the eyes of the ignorant and this wont help things.

also kicks and knees to a downed opponent are extrmemely dangerous. the one change they should make is disallow elbows on the gorund.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    although i miss pride dearly, i think this is a terrible idea. it wont fly in america the sport still has a target on its back for being "barbaric" in the eyes of the ignorant and this wont help things.

also kicks and knees to a downed opponent are extrmemely dangerous. the one change they should make is disallow elbows on the gorund.
    EDIT*
    Depends what you mean by grounded, I really HATE when fighters put their finger or knee on the ground just to circumvent a bad position(make it both hands or knees have to be on the mat.). Another is when Anderson was DQ'd vs Yushin okami, that kick was fucking beautiful. Stomps and soccer kicks I don't like tho.
    Last edited by Qball1974; 07-30-2013 at 02:13 AM.

I'm all for it. If they're doing it just to avoid getting hit I think it's totally OK to allow that knee up into their face.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information