+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glover Teixeira is the guy to beat light heavyweight champion Jon Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    FE is right, Jones has never faced a guy like Teixeira. Glover will be the most decorated BJJ guy Jones will have faced. Jones has never fought against an opponenst with a 2nd degree black belt in BJJ.
    yes but hes also submitted two black belts jones is as good as it gets when it comes to MMA grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    yes but hes also submitted two black belts jones is as good as it gets when it comes to MMA grappling.
    That he did. And he also almost got submitted by a black belt himself. I am not arguing Jones will lose to Tex, I am just pointing out the fact, Jones has never faced an opponent with Tex's level of BJJ.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/conte...achida-rematch
    Jones desire for new opponents is main barrier to Machida rematch

Machida has gone 2-0 since then and was told by UFC exec Marshall Zelaznik in Brazil this week that he is sure to get a title shot if he beats Phil Davis at UFC 163. That isn’t necessarily the case, say White.

“The problem with the Machida [rematch] thing is, Jones wants to fight new guys. He beat him. He choked him unconscious,” he says.

“That's some of the problems you run into with these champions that have gone on these long spells. He's up here talking about he wants to fight [Daniel] Cormier, he wants to fight Glover Teixeira. He wants to fight new guys. We'll see what happens."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

You can't really fault him for that when the UFC has little to no regard for the overall title picture anyway.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Nope.

Glover is just another HL reel for JJ im afraid (and i dont even like Jones).

I'd agree with that and then follow it up by saying that not all BJJ black belts are equal. Vitor has one from Carlson Gracie and Bonnar's is from Carlson/Sergio Penha.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

I hate Jon Jones...now that is out of the way. Glovers Bjj will not come into play because Jones will keep him at a literal arms length away. Jones reach is what gives him the major advantage in most of his fights and I dont see that being any different with Glover. I am interested to see how goose does though because Jones reach wont be as much of a factor. for the record I dont think either one will be the guy to defeat Jones though, that honor will either go to Anderson Silva or hopefully one day Dan Henderson if he can get the shot before he dies
    Believe in the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Icon View Post
    I hate Jon Jones...now that is out of the way. Glovers Bjj will not come into play because Jones will keep him at a literal arms length away. Jones reach is what gives him the major advantage in most of his fights and I dont see that being any different with Glover. I am interested to see how goose does though because Jones reach wont be as much of a factor. for the record I dont think either one will be the guy to defeat Jones though, that honor will either go to Anderson Silva or hopefully one day Dan Henderson if he can get the shot before he dies
    Goose only has like a 75"-76" reach. He will get taken down and subbed. Waste of a contender imo. He should of fought good wrestlers before this fight but they just want Jones to look so good doing what most solid wrestlers would do to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    I do not think so.
    Jones is just in a whole different level from all other LHWs. Teixeira is obviously good and maybe he can go to the distance with Jones, but I see him getting dominated for 5 rounds.
    He may be hard to take down, well Chael Sonnen is also not that easy to take down and Jones treated him like a little puppy.

Machida may have a chance against Jones because his style is very umpredictable, maybe Mousasi may have a chance too.
    But I do not see anyone at LHW capable of beating him.

At HW I only see Cain, Cormier and Cigano as candidates.
    I think the HW statement is a bit of a stretch. Any one of the top 10 or so heavies would do just fine and all of the top five I believe would beat Jones currently. Much of his current advantages are taken away at HW.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

If any LHW is going to beat Jones, I'd want it to be Glover.

And if Glover does touch Jones' chin, and that is if because Jones is an extremely intelligent fighter, Glover can end it.

Will it happen? Maybe not, but I can hope.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information