+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UFC 167's Johny Hendricks: When I'm in there, my goal is to break someone's jaw

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I would say they're fairly comparable. They're certainly "remotely close".
    How is the Biggest fight of your career, infront of 18,000+ people and MILLIONS at home, which could result in making you MILLIONS of dollars be even remotely close to a wrestling tournament you get 0 dollars for and in front of maybe 10,000 people...

Let me ask you this though KeVo - Is the BCS title remotely close to the Superbowl? Is the National Championship in basketball remotely close to a NBA championship? Is the National title in Hockey even remotely close to the Stanley Cup?

WE'RE NOT HERE TO TAKE PART, WE'RE HERE TO TAKE OVER!!

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Now if only wrestling at the divison 1 championship was even remotely close to fighting for the UFC WW title as the main event in Las Vegas....
    Apparently you have never wrestled in Des Moines or Stillwater...
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Now if only wrestling at the divison 1 championship was even remotely close to fighting for the UFC WW title as the main event in Las Vegas....
    in ufc you have liek 6 months to train for one fight where you know your opponent and can scout and plan accordingly. In wrestling you are training and cutting weight every day for about 3-4 months where you are wrestling 30-40 matches a year. also the ncaa finals you are wrestling multiple matches in a two day span and you dont know who you will be facing next.

also in wrestling you are working hard everyday to keep getting a free $80,000-100, 000 education so in essence they are getting paid.

to say its not "remotely close" is moronic, ignorant and disrespectful. you obviously never been in a wrestling or quit JV year of high school.

what evidence has hendricks shown of being a choker? oh right none.

How is the Biggest fight of your career, infront of 18,000+ people and MILLIONS at home, which could result in making you MILLIONS of dollars be even remotely close to a wrestling tournament you get 0 dollars for and in front of maybe 10,000 people...

Let me ask you this though KeVo - Is the BCS title remotely close to the Superbowl? Is the National Championship in basketball remotely close to a NBA championship? Is the National title in Hockey even remotely close to the Stanley Cup?
    Infront of maybe 10,000 people? The 2014 NCAA wrestling championships sold out in less then an hour for all 3 days and in OK City in an arena that seats almost 20,000 people. And it is a rapid at the tourny, the crowds at a UFC event are friggin docile compared to Iowa Hawkeye fans.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    in ufc you have liek 6 months to train for one fight where you know your opponent and can scout and plan accordingly. In wrestling you are training and cutting weight every day for about 3-4 months where you are wrestling 30-40 matches a year. also the ncaa finals you are wrestling multiple matches in a two day span and you dont know who you will be facing next.

also in wrestling you are working hard everyday to keep getting a free $80,000-100, 000 education so in essence they are getting paid.

to say its not "remotely close" is moronic, ignorant and disrespectful. you obviously never been in a wrestling or quit JV year of high school.

what evidence has hendricks shown of being a choker? oh right none.
    1) So you are saying wrestlers in the NCAA dont study the other top wrestlers in advance of a possible match? LOL.

2) A "free education" which i find very entertaining. And how many of those said student athletes actually attend classes, write their own papers, do all of their own readings? You ever watch Sunday night football? half of those guys can even speak english properly and you want to convince me they held up their end of the academic scholarship. Have you ever been to University? The athletes attend the first day of class then you dont see them until midterms / finals. Why? Because the teachers / profs know who plays on which team and mark them accordingly.

3) At no point did I say that NCAA wrestlers dont work hard, what i said was winning a national championship isnt even in the same universe as fighting for / winning a UFC title. Once again i will ask you (as i originally asked kevo) is playing in the / winning the BCS championship remotely close to playing in / winning the Superbowl? How about playing / winning the national championship in basketball is it remotely close to winning / playing for an NBA Championship? Is playing / winning the National Championship in hockey remotely close to playing / winning the Stanley Cup?? I you think the answer to any of those said questions are yes i want a little of whatever you are smoking.

4) Facing GSP forces people to freeze up.

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    Infront of maybe 10,000 people? The 2014 NCAA wrestling championships sold out in less then an hour for all 3 days and in OK City in an arena that seats almost 20,000 people. And it is a rapid at the tourny, the crowds at a UFC event are friggin docile compared to Iowa Hawkeye fans.

Now what did the NCAA wrestling Championships in 2005 (when hendricks won it) have in terms of attendance - since that is what we are comparing his UFC fight to - remember to take into consideration that OKC is the wrestling mecca of the USA so the 2014 numbers certainly could be flawed.

The crowds at a UFC event may be "docile" as you put it compared to hawkeye fans - but im sure the same could be said about Fans at a Michigan football game (in front of 120,000 people) but it doesnt compare to the biggest fight / game of your life. This is hendricks Superbowl, this is his Stanley Cup, there will be millions of people watching and everything he has done up to this point in his career rides of this fight...how that can be compared to any wrestling match in college is beyond me.

I think you might be down playing how big wrestling really is.
    Remotely close how? In terms of viewership? Revenue? Prestige and tradition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I think you might be down playing how big wrestling really is.

Remotely close how? In terms of viewership? Revenue? Prestige and tradition?
    So big that they are taking it out of the olympics?

And remotely close in all terms. Compare the NCAA wrestling championships to the UFC title fight (The Stanley Cup if you will)

Heres another comparison for you - the memorial cup vs the stanley cup. The memorial cup sells out, gets great viewership, and has tradition. Is it even in the same ballpark as the stanley cup?

LOL @ where this is going.

A few tidbits from me-

Hendricks has power but it's VERY predictable power. It's also wide, looping and his head is often down and he's trudging forward.
    I don't think his striking is even actually better than KOS. I think KOS refused to be taken down and simply focused on that. I also thought that fight EASILY could have gone to KOS.
    Hughes (5th place) and Koscheck (1st place) sure froze up against GSP.

GSP is a champion and a fine one. He's dismantled some incredibly solid wrestlers along the way- Hughes, Kos, Hieron, and Fitch immediately come to mind. He's played this game plenty of times and the tune's been the same almost every time.

I personally think he jabs Hendricks to death and either gets a UD or even a late sub due to simple fatigue. I don't see any way Hendricks' style lends itself to being able to routinely connect is Georges jabs and steps away from the power counter.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

1) So you are saying wrestlers in the NCAA dont study the other top wrestlers in advance of a possible match? LOL.

2) A "free education" which i find very entertaining. And how many of those said student athletes actually attend classes, write their own papers, do all of their own readings? You ever watch Sunday night football? half of those guys can even speak english properly and you want to convince me they held up their end of the academic scholarship. Have you ever been to University? The athletes attend the first day of class then you dont see them until midterms / finals. Why? Because the teachers / profs know who plays on which team and mark them accordingly.

3) At no point did I say that NCAA wrestlers dont work hard, what i said was winning a national championship isnt even in the same universe as fighting for / winning a UFC title. Once again i will ask you (as i originally asked kevo) is playing in the / winning the BCS championship remotely close to playing in / winning the Superbowl? How about playing / winning the national championship in basketball is it remotely close to winning / playing for an NBA Championship? Is playing / winning the National Championship in hockey remotely close to playing / winning the Stanley Cup?? I you think the answer to any of those said questions are yes i want a little of whatever you are smoking.

Now what did the NCAA wrestling Championships in 2005 (when hendricks won it) have in terms of attendance - since that is what we are comparing his UFC fight to - remember to take into consideration that OKC is the wrestling mecca of the USA so the 2014 numbers certainly could be flawed.

The crowds at a UFC event may be "docile" as you put it compared to hawkeye fans - but im sure the same could be said about Fans at a Michigan football game (in front of 120,000 people) but it doesnt compare to the biggest fight / game of your life. This is hendricks Superbowl, this is his Stanley Cup, there will be millions of people watching and everything he has done up to this point in his career rides of this fight...how that can be compared to any wrestling match in college is beyond me.
    First thing, having wrestled in college, you still need to go to class. Not everyone gets a full scholarship (I didnt). No one wrote papers for me and my expierence is like most people in college. There is a big difference between footballs players and everyone else.

In 2005 it was a sell out at the scott trade center of 22,000+. Having wrestled against Iowa and been to a UFC event, the crowds are two completely different things. I wrestled for a weak school (BU) and Iowa was still insane.
    Ben Askren

A large majority of student athletes do their own work in top football and basketball programs dont. also frat boys pay for papers and they arent athletes. ive worked with ncaa and collegiate athletics and i have seen cheaters but ive also seen athletes get graduation honors on their own. a lot of the cheating came from girls doing homework for them because they want the d it happened to athletes and non athletes.

also just because it is gsp doesnt mean he will freeze look at weidman/silva. if hendricks loses(which i think if gsp comes in not looking sluggish he will) it will not be because he got nervous it will be because gsp fought a better fight. he will go down swinging i can guarantee you that.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information