Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UFC 167's Johny Hendricks: When I'm in there, my goal is to break someone's jaw

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post

His take downs didnt look bad against Condit. What people forget is that GSP doesnt have to take down Hendricks to win the fight. He has many different ways to win this fight. Hendricks on the other hand has to land the hail mary for him to have ANY CHANCE of winning this fight...which wont happen
    What are GSP's many ways to win if he does not take Hendrick down? Jab him to death? Win by a decision?

Do you think GSP's wrestling is better than Hendricks?
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    What are GSP's many ways to win if he does not take Hendrick down? Jab him to death? Win by a decision?

Is that really all you think he does? Give credit where credit is do - GSP has elite level striking even if he isnt KO'ing guys. GSP can outclass hendricks standing with his kickboxing and movement. Its weather or not he chooses to do so - like we saw in the koscheck fight and many others.

And yes i do think GSP's wrestling is better than Hendricks. I think next to Chael and probably Jones he has the best wrestling in the UFC.

When is this fight? November? Why do we have to wait so long. Can't wait to see this one. Should be good. Johnny has been on a tear!

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post

Is that really all you think he does? Give credit where credit is do - GSP has elite level striking even if he isnt KO'ing guys. GSP can outclass hendricks standing with his kickboxing and movement. Its weather or not he chooses to do so - like we saw in the koscheck fight and many others.

And yes i do think GSP's wrestling is better than Hendricks. I think next to Chael and probably Jones he has the best wrestling in the UFC.
    In MMA, fighters don't use much wrestling besides takedowns and takedown defense. When it comes to the takedowns, it's primarily power doubles. Also, there's another element that's not used in wrestling: working the takedowns and defense off of strikes. All of this is what is termed "MMA wrestling". In that aspect, GSP has shown time and time again that he excels in that department. It's not that Hendricks doesn't; it's just that he hasn't shown it as much as GSP because he likes to stand more with the exception of the Condit fight.

When it comes to striking, GSP is better than Hendricks in every way aside from power. He's just a better boxer and kickboxer than Hendricks, plus he has natural advantages in a longer reach and speed. GSP also generally has better striking defense than Hendricks. Hendricks' advantages in striking is his power and his ability to cover distance very well to score with that power. Those elements alone do make it very interesting. I feel that GSP's jab is a great neutralizer to both elements but we'll see how that goes.

In terms of control on the ground, GSP has shown more because he has spent more time on the ground. GSP also has much better tools to get into dominant positions on the ground as he is easily one of the best guard passers in the game. And lastly, when it comes to transitions, i.e., going between striking and takedowns, GSP in my opinion is the best currently in the game. He didn't use that to the best of his ability against Diaz but it's tough to know whether it was attributed to GSP slowing down, potential fatigue, or if he thought he could get away with just shooting instead of setting up takedowns with strikes due to Diaz' poor TDD. I feel it was the latter but it's still speculation on my part.

With all of these in mind, GSP is deservingly the favourite, not just based on history and dominance but because he just has better tools than Hendricks. Hendricks obviously has a great combination of wrestling and KO power that makes this bout quite intriguing and could create a potential upset. I still bet on GSP because he just uses his skills and imposes his game plan well almost every time.

5. Default

GSP's striking looks a lot better then it really is, because of his ability to mix striking and takedowns like nobody else. Georges has a couple of strikes he excels at, like the superman punch and the jab, but as far as pure strikers, Thiago Alves, Carlos Condit, Marv Kampmann, are all better "strikers" then GSP. And thats just in his weight class.

Also, I think his ability to mix greatly increases his wrestling results. Every one of his explosive, impressive, mat shaking takedowns comes at the end of a combo. There is a long list of guys with better, and documented wrestling pedigrees then GSP.

The first round of this fight is going to decide the whole thing. Either we see Hendricks blast GSP and finish him, blast GSP and rattle him enough he's off for the rest of the fight, or establish his wrestling and keep GSP looking for the takedown the rest of the night. If Johnny fails to set the tone, and lets GSP get into his groove, its a long night of nothing going right for Hendricks.

I like GSP and Hendricks, but Johny is going to knock George's head off. I truly believe that out of all of GSP's opponents that he's faced, Hendricks poses the most problems. I'm predicting another early KO.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    In MMA, fighters don't use much wrestling besides takedowns and takedown defense. When it comes to the takedowns, it's primarily power doubles. Also, there's another element that's not used in wrestling: working the takedowns and defense off of strikes. All of this is what is termed "MMA wrestling". In that aspect, GSP has shown time and time again that he excels in that department. It's not that Hendricks doesn't; it's just that he hasn't shown it as much as GSP because he likes to stand more with the exception of the Condit fight.

When it comes to striking, GSP is better than Hendricks in every way aside from power. He's just a better boxer and kickboxer than Hendricks, plus he has natural advantages in a longer reach and speed. GSP also generally has better striking defense than Hendricks. Hendricks' advantages in striking is his power and his ability to cover distance very well to score with that power. Those elements alone do make it very interesting. I feel that GSP's jab is a great neutralizer to both elements but we'll see how that goes.

In terms of control on the ground, GSP has shown more because he has spent more time on the ground. GSP also has much better tools to get into dominant positions on the ground as he is easily one of the best guard passers in the game. And lastly, when it comes to transitions, i.e., going between striking and takedowns, GSP in my opinion is the best currently in the game. He didn't use that to the best of his ability against Diaz but it's tough to know whether it was attributed to GSP slowing down, potential fatigue, or if he thought he could get away with just shooting instead of setting up takedowns with strikes due to Diaz' poor TDD. I feel it was the latter but it's still speculation on my part.

With all of these in mind, GSP is deservingly the favourite, not just based on history and dominance but because he just has better tools than Hendricks. Hendricks obviously has a great combination of wrestling and KO power that makes this bout quite intriguing and could create a potential upset. I still bet on GSP because he just uses his skills and imposes his game plan well almost every time.
    Damn...Doc just drop the hammer of knowledge.

I agree with almost everything you said, and I still think Hendricks puts GSP to sleep in RD 1
    GSP miss a shot or it gets stuffed then BOOM the Big Rig hits

While I want Hendricks to win, and think has the tools... I'll believe someone can beat gsp when I see it. I just want Hendricks to bing it and watch a good fight, if he wins then that's just double plus good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    NCAA division 1 champions dont "freeze up"
    Now if only wrestling at the divison 1 championship was even remotely close to fighting for the UFC WW title as the main event in Las Vegas....

Now if only wrestling at the divison 1 championship was even remotely close to fighting for the UFC WW title as the main event in Las Vegas....
    I would say they're fairly comparable. They're certainly "remotely close".
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Thread Information