http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2013/07/...-wake-up-call/

UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre and former middleweight king Anderson Silva were compared to each other for years as two of the most dominant competitors to ever showcase their skills in the iconic eight-sided cage. However, Silva’s run of excellence ended earlier this month when newly crowned champion Chris Weidman stopped “The Spider” with strikes at UFC 162. And, unless he’s careful, St-Pierre could follow suit this November when he faces hard-hitting wrestler Johny Hendricks.

St-Pierre recently spoke about the impact Silva’s loss had on his mindset while training for his upcoming title-defense, admitting it gave him a new perspective on where he stands at the moment.

“When I saw that fight, you know, of course Chris Weidman is my friend and training partner, I was cheering for him and I thought he was going to win because the style match-up and he was very well prepared. But it made me realize when I was watching that fight that even the best can lose sometimes,” revealed St-Pierre in an interview with MMAFightCorner. “It made me realize that what I got, I’m the world champion now – it can go away in the blink of an eye. If I don’t pay attention, one punch, one submission, one mistake, and it can change the whole thing. It made me realize that I need to work very hard to maintain what I have. It gave me that motivation.”

“It kind of woke me up a little bit,” he concluded.
GSP (24-2) has come out of eleven straight showdowns with his hand raised including nine fights with gold up for grabs. His bout with Hendricks will serve as the headliner at UFC 167 in Las Vegas.