Thread: After third time being passed over, Ricardo Lamas makes case for fw title shot

Default After third time being passed over, Ricardo Lamas makes case for fw title shot

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/7/29...makes-case-for

"I went into a little depression for a few days," he admitted. "I was going through all this training and everything, and it's out the window, all for nothing. It just kind of left me wondering why Iím getting passed over so much. Itís a little disheartening, you know?"

Lamas (13-2) later received a call from UFC president Dana White apologizing for the manner in which the announcement was made, and telling him to remain ready for his chance. (He also promised him his purse even he did not fight.) Taken aback by the surprise phone call, Lamas didn't take the opportunity to plead his own case, but he later asked matchmaker Sean Shelby for the winner of the Aldo-Jung match.

The UFC couldn't promise him that, leading him to wonder what might be next. To him, the title shot makes the most sense, far more than a possible rematch with Cub Swanson, who he defeated via arm triangle in Nov. 2011. There has been a recent groundswell of support for Swanson, who's won five straight, but Lamas doesn't see any reason for a fight between them.

"I could see if maybe I lost since I fought him, but since fighting him I beat two guys who were promised title fights," he said. "I don't know any other 145-pound contender who has done that. Cub hasnít done it, Frankie hasn't done it, Chad [Mendes] hasnít done it. So, really, in my mind, Iím the No. 1 contender and I think I deserve a shot at the title."

It's not an all-or-nothing proposition. He knows what he wants, but he's willing to fight again to prove once and for all that he's the legitimate top contender.

Until then, he'll see how Aldo-Jung plays out, and he'll be in the gym working hard. He expects Aldo to emerge with the win at UFC 163, but believes Jung could pose some problems if he continues walking Aldo down, as he's done to most of his opponents.

Honestly, he wants to be the man to end Aldo's lengthy reign at the top. In his mind, he says, Aldo is "the king," and Lamas can be at peace with taking the long, hard road as long as it leads to a chance to claim his ultimate prize.

"I just want to say, a lot of people don't know about me as a fighter, a lot of people have counted me out of pretty much all of my fights, against Cub, against Hatsu, against Erik, and I've surprised everyone," he said. "And if they give me the shot against Jose Aldo Iíll surprise everybody again."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Lamas was passed over because Zuffa sees lots of potential in the A$ian market. Simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/conte...ung-in-mexicoq
    Lamas: "I want winner of Aldo/Jung, in Mexico"

"I felt very strange," Lamas said in an interview. "I was angry, sad and envious of the fighters who would fight that night and I still wanted to compete myself. When I was watching the fights I felt like a caged animal."

It is an understandable reaction. Fighters must fight. Not only is it their way of life, it is their passion, a way to express themselves. In short, it is a lifestyle. Latino warriors have the fight code engraved on their heart from birth, it is not something which can be acquired in the gym. Lamas has followed that code to the present day.

Since joining the UFC in June 2011, Ricardo has fought four times, scoring four victories, three of which have come inside the distance (two knockouts and one submission). These are credentials of a title contender in the world’s leading MMA organization. However, he is still waiting for what will be the fight of his life.

"I want to fight the winner of [this weekend’s] Aldo/Zombie match. And I want to fight the winner in Mexico or very close to Mexico for my people to see it live when I win the title," he says.

That is some optimism from Lamas but the pieces are possibly coming together for him. Mexico is a target for the UFC to stage a major event. This year we also saw a major upset as Chris Weidman took the middleweight belt from Anderson Silva, ranked as the best fighter on the planet.

Other examples include GSP having Johny Hendricks as a powerful challenger against him in September and many are expecting a surprise in the welterweight division when they meet. This year, Jon Jones will be threatened for his crown by the Swedish giant Alexander Gustafsson, who could present the biggest challenge of his career thus far.

Ricardo likes the idea of having new rulers in each division and says that 2013 “will be the year of bad luck for the UFC champions. And if the UFC gives me the opportunity to fight for the title, I will prove that this theory is in fact the truth.

"It's a long wait to fight for the title, its been a year! Since I won my fight with Hatsu Hioki showed that I was the number one contender and when I beat Erik Koch proved once again that I am the number one contender.”

His fans have supported him through social networks, creating a campaign on Twitter called #LamasNext, which requests that the Latino fighter is the next to challenge for the UFC featherweight title.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

He wasn't more deserving than Mendes or Edgar so I don't think he's been passed over three times.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    He wasn't more deserving than Mendes or Edgar so I don't think he's been passed over three times.
    he won what was proclaimed to be "#1 contender fights" and then the shot went to someone else so he definitely got passed over.

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    Not three times, but two IMO. When Edgar dropped down, coming off of a two fight losing streak, Lamas had already scored wins over Hioki and Cub(a win which looks a helluva lot better now that Cub is hot, than it did then), but specifically, the win over Hioki probably should've placed him in the catbird position to get a shot.

I would say without a doubt, that at the moment they made Aldo/Zombie, hell, the moment they made Aldo/Pettis, there was no better resume for a title contender at FW than Lamas' wins over Hioki, Koch and Swanson. I think that really stinks, I get the business is better for Aldo/Zombie or Aldo/Pettis, but I think Lamas has gotta be next in line, especially since they won't be too quick to book Aldo/Mendes II, despite Chad probably being able to beat the rest of the division.

Thread Information