Thread: Francis Carmont meets Constantinos Philippou at UFC 165 in Toronto

Default Francis Carmont meets Constantinos Philippou at UFC 165 in Toronto

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...165-in-toronto

Francis Carmont will put his 10-fight win streak at risk against a Top 10 middleweight in September.

Carmont (21-7 MMA, 5-0 UFC) will meet Constantinos Philippou (12-2 MMA, 5-1 UFC) at UFC 165 this fall. UFC officials on Tuesday announced the new matchup.

UFC 165 takes place Sept. 21 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto. The main card will air on pay-per-view following prelims that are expected to air on either FOX Sports 1 or FOX Sports 2 and Facebook.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I suppose this match makes sense since they're both on win streaks, except for coming off of the big Boetsch win and the Jacare bout he dropped out of due to injury, this feels like a step down for Consta.

Consta is coming in with five straight wins, most notably over Boetsch and two really tough out MWs in Fukuda and Court, while Carmont is coming in on a 10 fight win streak, himself with five straight in the UFC, with that iffy Lawlor SD and some neutralizing fights against Larkin. Carmont is a giant MW and has the ability to really slow down fights, so I'm curious as to what this does to Consta's stock if he merely wins via UD? I'm not too sure this helps his stock as much as a bigger name would, such as Belcher(who I think is still on the shelf) or maybe Franklin, and I'm wondering how this matchup plays out, as it feels very dull to me...

I'd have preferred Vitor/Consta and Kennedy/Carmont.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I suppose this match makes sense since they're both on win streaks, except for coming off of the big Boetsch win and the Jacare bout he dropped out of due to injury, this feels like a step down for Consta.

Consta is coming in with five straight wins, most notably over Boetsch and two really tough out MWs in Fukuda and Court, while Carmont is coming in on a 10 fight win streak, himself with five straight in the UFC, with that iffy Lawlor SD and some neutralizing fights against Larkin. Carmont is a giant MW and has the ability to really slow down fights, so I'm curious as to what this does to Consta's stock if he merely wins via UD? I'm not too sure this helps his stock as much as a bigger name would, such as Belcher(who I think is still on the shelf) or maybe Franklin, and I'm wondering how this matchup plays out, as it feels very dull to me...

yes i do not understand the logic behind not making that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I like the way you think. Maybe Vitor turned down that fight too though.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Very probably Vitor turned down Consta. Consta is maybe No. 9 or 10 in the rankings and he is a more dangerous fighter than Kennedy.

I hope Philippou wins this.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I had wondered if this would be the fight made if Vitor didn't want to fight Costa.

I'll take Costa, but I'm shitty at picking fights. Split decision, just because.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I like the way you think. Maybe Vitor turned down that fight too though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Very probably Vitor turned down Consta. Consta is maybe No. 9 or 10 in the rankings and he is a more dangerous fighter than Kennedy.

I hope Philippou wins this.
    Didnt Consta say he would only fight Vitor outside of Brazil...
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    He'll put the NEENJI WHOOMPIN ON YA.

Anyway, I still don't get why Vitor would even consider fighting Costa regardless of venue. The guy's the clear cut #1 contender and has earned his shot. He shouldn't even be considered to fight someone outside of the top 5.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Thread Information