Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dana White: Roy Nelson believes that the UFC will never give him a title shot

1. Default Dana White: Roy Nelson believes that the UFC will never give him a title shot

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/7/30...-shot-mma-news

After losing badly to Stipe Miocic at UFC 161, Roy Nelson was believed to be on his way out of the UFC. It was the last fight of his contract, and while fans may love his portly shape and powerful right hand, there was obvious friction between Nelson and UFC president Dana White. Nelson received a new contract, a co-main event fight against Daniel Cormier at UFC 166, but still continues to talk about how poorly the promotion has treated him. Via MMA Junkie:

"Roy has this belief that we won't give him a title shot," White said. "We just won't do it."
    Dana argued that the reason that the UFC hasn't given Nelson a title shot is his inability to win a fight that merits a title shot:

You've got to beat the guys to get a title (shot)," White said. "He's never beat the guys to get himself in line for a title shot."
    I think Dana is 100% correct. Nelson has been given multiple fights against proven contenders and has lost all of them. He was destroyed by Junior dos Santos, ragdolled by Frank Mir, and comprehensively beaten by Fabricio Werdum. Stipe Miocic is not considered a title contender and Nelson was dominated by him, too. And at age 37 with 27 pro fights and nine years of pro MMA under his belt, the odds of him -- yes, even in a division as thin as heavyweight -- reaching top contender status are just about slim and none.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

I like Roy a lot but if that was the feeling, why re-sign?
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

I like Roy but like the article said "no title shot unless u beat the top guys." Still plenty of fun fights for the big one. Unfortunately for him he is matched up with the beast that is Dan Cormier!

I hate when Dana is right.

Roy can bulldoze every midcarder in the promotion, (we're underselling what Stipe is capable of at this point), but can't pull it out in high-profile title eliminator fights. This issue is pretty black and white. He can't seem to compete in the top ten, but murders everyone ranked 10+.

I love Roy, and having him around, but this is also the guy who said that Fedor was just a slimmer version of him, and that if he was in Hendo's position in the Silva fight, he would have just held his breath til the end of the round. I think he consciously makes the decision to be a douche sometimes.

The dude still deserves everyone's respect for doing what he did to Cheick Kongo
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I like Roy a lot but if that was the feeling, why re-sign?
    Roy likes to fight and the best competition is with the UFC.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

rhetorical question
    n.
    A question to which no answer is expected, often used for rhetorical effect.
    sar·casm (särkzm)
    n.
    1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.

2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

3. The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit1.
    I'm just saying......

A lot of us can relate to Roy... pot belly and all... that's why we watch him, we want to see the regular looking guy beat up on muscle freaks... unfortunately, unless they are lower ranked, Roy can't handle'em... and I really don't think he'll be able to beat DC...

How close would pulling off a win against DC put him to a title shot?
    Legalize MMA in New York

Quote Originally Posted by IrishX(aka bornbear) View Post
    It'd do more to hurt DC than help Roy. He'd still be 2 fights out barring injury if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishX(aka bornbear) View Post
    In the HW division, probably a win away. After Werdum gets his long awaited shot
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Thread Information