+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 167's Johny Hendricks: When I'm in there, my goal is to break someone's jaw

1. Default UFC 167's Johny Hendricks: When I'm in there, my goal is to break someone's jaw

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...k-someones-jaw

LAS VEGAS Ė Johny Hendricks has a very simple plan for upsetting Georges St-Pierre and earning the UFC's welterweight title. The challenger plans on walking through the champ's vaunted jab before launching a counterattack he thinks will put "GSP" to sleep.

"I don't want to take 'GSP' down," Hendricks said at Monday's UFC World Tour 2013 stop in Las Vegas. "I want to lay him out. That's all I want to do. That's what the fans want to see, and I know I have the power in both hands to do it."
    Hendricks (15-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) and St-Pierre (24-2 MMA, 18-2 UFC) meet in the main event of UFC 167, which takes place Nov. 16 at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena and airs on pay-per-view. It's a fight for which Hendricks has openly campaigned for years but wasn't absolutely sure he would get until Anderson Silva's knockout loss earlier this month ruled out the possibility of a Silva vs. St-Pierre superfight.

"I was a little nervous until the Anderson-Chris Weidman fight happened because you never know what's going to happen," Hendricks told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "If Anderson wins, does the superfight still happen? So he kind of helped me out, and now it's actually going to happen. I can't wait. I'm so excited."
    Just as Weidman was supremely confident heading into his upset win over Silva, so, too, does Hendricks seem to believe it's his destiny to win the belt. A four-time Division I All-American wrestler, Hendricks' wrestling skills would seem to be just what is needed against St-Pierre, who's mastered the art of wrestling in terms of MMA application. Additionally, Hendricks has been blessed with knockout power, as a 46-second win over Martin Kampmann and 12-second stoppage of Jon Fitch can certainly attest.

While St-Pierre's jab is an incredible weapon, as well, Hendricks thinks it will pale in comparison to his power punches.

"I will bite on my mouthpiece and eat a jab to land a right or a left hand on his jaw line," Hendricks said. "That's the difference. Punch me in the face, I'll punch you twice as hard.

"When I'm in there, my goal is to break someone's jaw. Let them forget who they are that night. Let them wake up the next morning and go, 'What the hell happened?' That's my goal every fight."
    Like Weidman, who shocked the world with his knockout win over Silva, Hendricks believes his attitude will prove another strength. He respects St-Pierre, a man who is certain to be a UFC Hall of Famer and may very well be the greatest welterweight of all time. But "Bigg Rigg" has no fear of the French-Canadian champ.

"Give 'em respect because they have the belt, but he's just a person," Hendricks said of St-Pierre. "I can beat anybody at any given time, and that's sort of the mentality that you've got to have when you're facing somebody with the belt.

"If he's going to sit there and do that jab, watch. I'll bite on the mouthpiece. I'll eat one to throw my left or right hand all day long."
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

2. 07-30-2013, 02:51 PM

3. Default

and he has the power to do it

& this is what I like to hear from any person fighting and I hope he doesn't come flat on the night of the fight.
    "The time is almost upon us.
    My centuries of manipulating... of preparing... are reaching their resolution.
    With the dawning of the new day, the end times will be upon us... my ascension complete. And you, the twelve -- prophesied saviors of mutantkind... your power will bestow upon me the means to achieve my destiny.
    First, I will remake this pathetic orb in my image, and then the stars."
    Apocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    & this is what I like to hear from any person fighting and I hope he doesn't come flat on the night of the fight.
    Or head hunting, that's a recipe for failure lol

The reign of GSP ends after this fight.
    WAR HENDRICKS!!!
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

The more I have watch GSP v. Diaz, the more I think his time is just about up and his knee injury has caught up to him. While he took Diaz down at will, those takedowns where crap. He was shooting from miles away and lounging for them. Maybe he was just being lazy and knew Diaz had no takedown defense or figured he could do it and stay out of punching range. But if it is his knee and he has lost a step then he is done vs. Hendricks. Because those takedowns will never put Hendrick on his back and he will pay dearly for missing on them.

My prediction for the fight, GSP lands his jab, circles, evades one of hendricks' swarms. Goes for a takedown, misses and gets caught with an uppercut on the way up. Hendrick swarms, new champion and the fight is over before the 1:30 mark of the first round.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Soo if you read between the lines - Hendricks is going to freeze up come fight night. He wont land the Hail Mary and will have to skip to GSP lou like everyone else has.

Its fun to say things like your goal is to lay out GSP and that "everyone wants to see it" and all the other ish he talking - completely different game actually doing what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    The more I have watch GSP v. Diaz, the more I think his time is just about up and his knee injury has caught up to him. While he took Diaz down at will, those takedowns where crap. He was shooting from miles away and lounging for them. Maybe he was just being lazy and knew Diaz had no takedown defense or figured he could do it and stay out of punching range. But if it is his knee and he has lost a step then he is done vs. Hendricks. Because those takedowns will never put Hendrick on his back and he will pay dearly for missing on them.

My prediction for the fight, GSP lands his jab, circles, evades one of hendricks' swarms. Goes for a takedown, misses and gets caught with an uppercut on the way up. Hendrick swarms, new champion and the fight is over before the 1:30 mark of the first round.
    His take downs didnt look bad against Condit. What people forget is that GSP doesnt have to take down Hendricks to win the fight. He has many different ways to win this fight. Hendricks on the other hand has to land the hail mary for him to have ANY CHANCE of winning this fight...which wont happen
    Last edited by BonesKnows; 07-30-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Hendricks has better striking then Kos, but you dont think thays exactly what Kos was thinking? That he was willing to eat a punch to give a punch... I think if Hendricks mixes it up and as someone already said, doesnt just head hunt he will have a mich better chance to catch gsp. Also interesting to note, Gsp's reach: 76 inches, Hendricks: 69.
    Last edited by dimerules28; 07-30-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Soo if you read between the lines - Hendricks is going to freeze up come fight night. He wont land the Hail Mary and will have to skip to GSP lou like everyone else has.

Its fun to say things like your goal is to lay out GSP and that "everyone wants to see it" and all the other ish he talking - completely different game actually doing what you said.

His take downs didnt look bad against Condit. What people forget is that GSP doesnt have to take down Hendricks to win the fight. He has many different ways to win this fight. Hendricks on the other hand has to land the hail mary for him to have ANY CHANCE of winning this fight...which wont happen
    NCAA division 1 champions dont "freeze up"

Quote Originally Posted by dimerules28 View Post
    Hendricks has better striking then Kos, but you dont think thays exactly what Kos was thinking? That he was willing to eat a punch to give a punch... I think if Hendricks mixes it up and as someone already said, doesnt just head hunt he will have a mich better chance to catch gsp. Also interesting to note, Gsp's reach: 76 inches, Hendricks: 69.
    that is a very good point on the reach but kos has been knocked out before, hendricks has not and this is not the same gsp that beat kos. gsp has not looked the same in his two fights post surgery. maybe he will come back full force now that its a little further removed. i doubt it though but we will see.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information