Thread: Vitor Belfort Declines Any UFC Non-Title Fight at MW; Dana White Offers Rashad Evans

Hybrid View

1. Default Vitor Belfort Declines Any UFC Non-Title Fight at MW; Dana White Offers Rashad Evans

http://www.mmaweekly.com/vitor-belfo...s-rashad-evans

UFC president Dana White had plans for Vitor Belfort to square off with Tim Kennedy, but it looks like those plans have gone awry.

Belfort recently declined the offer to fight Kennedy, his wife and manager Joana Prado telling Globo.com that Belfort is the top contender at middleweight, so it made no sense for him to fight anyone at 185 pounds other than the champion.

Belfort is coming off of back-to-back, highlihgt reel knockout victories over Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold, which he believes puts him in the catbird seat.

Prado clarified that Belfort would fight for the UFC, even against Kennedy or anyone else, as long as it was a catchweight bout or at light heavyweight or even heavyweight. He just didn’t feel he should fight anyone at middleweight unless the belt was on the line.

That’s fine by White, who seemed to wash his hands of the matter, but not before offering an alternative and questioning Belfort’s matchmaking ideas.

“Vitor doesn’t want (the Kennedy) fight. So I said, okay, let’s do him and Rashad (Evans) then (at light heavyweight),” White said Wednesday in New York. “He wants to fight at a heavier weight, let’s do him and Rashad. I haven’t heard back on that yet.”
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I love Tim Kennedy but offering that fight to Belfort was ridiculous and borders on disrespect. Not because Kennedy isn't good but simply because DFW gets mad at Vitor and wants no part of him having the strap.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Vitor and Rashad wont happen because they're training partners, and DW knows Vitor will turn down another fight, putting the ball in the UFC's corner once again.

I always was under the impression that Vitor would be facing winner of Okami/Jacare for the number 1 contender. Okami/Jacare fight September 4th, and the winner could face Vitor at 168, that way we will have a number 1 contender and winner of Weidman/Silva on the same night.

I think Jacare is the dark horse at mw. Keep an eye on that fewl.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

I think Vitor blows Jacare out pretty quickly.

Sonnen, Mousasi, or someone else from LHW interest me far more.

He's earned a shot at MW like it or not.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Default Rashad Evans Won't Fight Vitor Belfort

Rashad Evans won't fight Vitor Belfort

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans told ESPN.com on Thursday that he will not fight middleweight contender Vitor Belfort or any other teammate.

"I won't fight Vitor," said Evans, who trains with Belfort at Jaco Hybrid Training Center in Boca Raton, Fla. "I won't fight Thiago Silva. I won't fight Cezar "Mutante" Ferreira. I won't fight anybody who I train with!

"I made that mistake before, and I won't do that again. I lost a lot of relationships because I did that before."

Evans' remarks come on the heels of an announcement Wednesday in New York by UFC president Dana White that the promotion has offered Belfort a fight with Evans. White extended the offer after Belfort rejected a bout recently with Tim Kennedy.

After he turned down Kennedy, Belfort's wife and manager, Joana Prado, told Brazil-based website Globo.com last week that the fighter would not accept any middleweight nontitle fights. She added that Belfort is willing to fight anyone at light heavyweight or heavyweight, even Kennedy.

White, who was in New York to promote upcoming title bouts, expressed disappointment with Belfort's demands. White added that he is currently not negotiating directly with Belfort.

"Vitor drives me crazy," White said. "I'm not dealing with Vitor. [UFC chairman and CEO] Lorenzo [Fertitta] is dealing with Vitor.

"Vitor didn't want that fight [with Kennedy], Vitor doesn't like that fight. So I said, 'Let's do him and Rashad. He wants to fight at a heavier weight, let's do him and Rashad.' I haven't heard back from [Belfort] on that one yet."

White need not hold his breath waiting for a response from Belfort; Evans has already made his intentions clear. Evans is still pained by what took place the previous time he faced a teammate.

Before joining the Florida-based Blackzilians fighting team, Evans spent several years training in Albuquerque, N.M., at Team Jackson-Winkeljohn. Current light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was among Evans' teammates; they trained together regularly and developed a tight-knit relationship.

But their friendship soured in April 2012 when the two fought for Jones' 205-pound title. Previously, Evans and Jones vowed never to fight each other. In the weeks leading to the bout, they exchanged insults. While Evans and Jones are less hostile toward each other today, their once-close relationship remains strained.

Evans snapped a two-fight skid on June 15 with a split decision over Dan Henderson at UFC 161. ESPN.com ranks Evans fourth among light heavyweights.

Belfort has been seeking another shot at the middleweight title since Feb. 5, 2011, when then-champion Anderson Silva knocked him out in the first round at UFC 126. Since the loss, Belfort has won four of five fights.

His only setback during that time was a fourth-round submission to Jones in a light heavyweight title fight at UFC 152. Belfort is ranked third among middleweights by ESPN.com.

Thread Information