Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bellator welterweight champ Ben Askren has no fights left on his contract

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I would just like to see what he would do against the top 2-3 in the UFC.

After last night, I say he absolutely smothers guys like Condit and Kampmann and gives anyone he can grab ahold of fits.
    Hell, I'd just like to see him fight somebody in the top 10. I think he'd get beat by a half dozen guys in the UFC.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Hell, I'd just like to see him fight somebody in the top 10. I think he'd get beat by a half dozen guys in the UFC.
    You think there are six guys in the UFC that would beat him? Who?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

I could POSSIBLY see Rory, GSP, Hendricks, and Ellenberger depending on how things went.

However, Diaz, Condit, Saffediene, Lawler, and Koscheck would be in deep shit.

Maia would depend on what openings Askren left.

The guy's just a different kind of grappler and I'm convinced that you can't get him off of you lol.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

I could POSSIBLY see Rory, GSP, Hendricks, and Ellenberger depending on how things went.

However, Diaz, Condit, Saffediene, Lawler, and Koscheck would be in deep shit.

Maia would depend on what openings Askren left.

The guy's just a different kind of grappler and I'm convinced that you can't get him off of you lol.
    I dont see how Koscheck would be in deep shit against Askren. Koscheck is one of the elite wrestlers of the WW division. He's the only one who was able to take GSP down and Hendricks, and neither was able to hold Koscheck down for more than a few seconds (in this example I am talking about the 2nd fight with GSP). I think it would be a neutralizing wrestling scrap between the two.

Rory, I would give a chance but only because of his length, keeping Ben on the outside. His TDD is VERY questionable and not as great as people make it out to be. He was taken down by Penn, a LW! Ellenberger isn't the All-American that Joe Rogan was making him out to be, but he got one on Rory as well. Ben would have no trouble putting Rory on his back and holding him there, if he times his takedown well.

I give Ellenberger less of a chance, as he's not a great wrestler himself. He relies so much on his KO punches that Ben would be able to swoop down and take him down. Like Rory, we haven't seen what he can do from the bottom, if he can get back to his feet or use BJJ. I think Ben would work him on the ground and win every scramble.

I give both Maia and Jake Shields a solid chance of beating Askren. Both guys have faced larger wrestlers in their careers and fared exceptionally well. Both also have the BJJ game to make it difficult on Ben to control them from top. Again, it would be a grappling scrap, with the fight going either way depending on how the judges see it.

Anyone who doesn't have a wrestling or a elite grappling background like the names you mentioned, would most likely be controlled and lose in an underwhelming manner.

I don't think even Koscheck can get away from that pressure after watching Ben's last few fights.

I could be wrong and I openly admit Kos has an advantage at boxing and GNP but I just think he'd be in trouble as he'd likely try to exploit those advantages and end up getting blanketed.

Askren's would be a perfect heel to GSP's babyface down the line and I think that's a helluva fight to hype, although I don't think Askren has much to offer GSP in a genuine MMA fight.

That said, I still can't shake the Hieron fight, and since then I haven't seen him fight anybody anywhere near top caliber, I'm not totally sold on him yet, if he were to go against top fighters. Unfortunately, there aren't many top fighters left for Askren to fight at WW in BFC, so he may be interested in making a jump.

Don't you think a welcome fight with Woodley followed by a top 5-7 guy would line him right up if they decided to piss Bellator off?

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    You think there are six guys in the UFC that would beat him? Who?
    I'd favor GSP, Hendricks, Condit, Maia, Diaz, & McDonald in a fight over Askren. Possibly Ellenberger, Kampman, Koscheck, Lawler as well. The fact of the matter is, we've never seen him fight anyone of these guys caliber. The one fight he had with a decent journeyman in Hieron, many thought he should have lost the decision.

Don't you think a welcome fight with Woodley followed by a top 5-7 guy would line him right up if they decided to piss Bellator off?
    That was who I was thinking he should debut against last night while watching him gut that kid. Was also thinking maybe Mike Pierce or even Gunnar Nelson, as a co-main on a TV card to debut him to a wider audience and against fighters who will challenge him.

Do you think woodley and he would fight? They wrestled together. I have the same concern as fedorlei due to the heiron fight. He mixed in his jits positioning and wrestling nicely last night.

Thread Information