Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bellator welterweight champ Ben Askren has no fights left on his contract

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    He'll be staying put. I'm pretty sure Dana once said: "I'd rather watch paint dry than watch Ben Askren fight."
    he signed antonio mckee after saying the same thing about him.

Personally I think the key to beating "funky" Ben is footwork and a stiff Jab. After getting his face popped and busted for a round or two, he will wilt. GSP could have a field day on him. He only strikes to close distance, which leaves him wide open for Jabs. But yeah that's easier said than done, cause once he's on you he's like a bad rash. He's a goon in the cage. I'd still love to see Fitch fight him, I think he'd beat Fitch but it would be a interesting contest. That is for however long I can stay awake long enough to watch it.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

They probably don't train for the good footwork and stiff jabs at roufus sports.

Good footwork and a jab are great but u need tdd to beat Ben. He likely is not winning standup exchanges to tdd is key. Have u seen the chin on askren. I bet he can take a shot with that huge chin. Chin move now. It's like Sputnik.
    Last edited by MIZjitsZOU; 08-03-2013 at 08:44 AM.

This kid is gonna be finishing fights left and right once he gains more confidence in his BJJ. if he wants to, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    This kid is gonna be finishing fights left and right once he gains more confidence in his BJJ. if he wants to, anyway.
    IMO longterm, he goes up to around #2 at WW in my books once his BJJ really comes into its own and he's developing it at a sweet pace(he wasn't really hunting for subs in the Wednesday fight after the second round and I'm positive he could've locked it up at anytime), but there's still work to be done, goddamnit though, as you said, once his comfort/confidence in his BJJ goes up, he'll be deadly.

Looking forward in his progression, his striking also still needs a whole lot of work- I get that his gameplan is basically to get the fight to the ground and the motherfucker can do it quicker than a hiccup, but his striking is the most obvious hole in his game when he goes up against top WWs, with the Hieron fight as best reference, but I'm sure he's grown from then, the question is how much? Against BFC WW opponents, I don't know how much more glimpses he'll even have to show us lol.

Adequate striking development and continuous BJJ growth would put him in elite WW company with GSP, Rory, Hendricks & Condit, however I'm still tentative to really invest too much into my above comment until I see him against alot higher competition. Would absolutely love to see what he can do in deeper waters, even against guys like Pierce, Story, Stungun, T-Wood etc. Damn, Gunnar/Askren would be cool to see.

His flexibility reminds me alot of some of the female MMA BJJ fighters. he's really difficult to reverse or get a hold of. He gets guys into positions and leaves them confused as to what to do. It's like trying to wrestle a chimp. It's just annoying a tiring. I kinda feel sorry for his opponents once he gets on them. I think Daley may have dodged a bullet, because unless he could have caught Ben early, he would it would have been like the Koscheck fight, only worse.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Way worse. Askren is always moving and improving position, no rest at all.

Daley wouldn't have had enough energy to sucker punch him.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Thread Information