Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machida believes Anderson was pressured into title rematch

Default Machida believes Anderson was pressured into title rematch

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/conte...-title-rematch

“I am the number one in the world and the leading contender, and it is in this upcoming fight that I will demonstrate that once again. I already received the promise for the title shot twice and ended up not having the chance to fight for it but I will prove myself for the third time,” he tells O Globo.

“Nothing comes easy for me and I am not counting with anything easy now. I know this is going to be a tough fight but the title shot has to come.”

Asked how he feels about the UFC continually promising him title shots and then taking them away when a more favorable situation - eg Sonnen vs. Jones - becomes available, Machida says he is no longer dwelling on it.

“It used to bother me a lot, waiting for title contentions that didn’t happen. Today I don’t think this way. What is happening is good for me. It’s a fight in Brazil, a fight that will do so much for my career. I am so happy with the opportunity, very pleased and looking to live each moment.

“I don’t like to keep complaining about what hasn’t happened. If it did not work out that moment, there must have been a reason for that. I did my part, I fought, won, did everything that was demanded. Such is life - not everything will happen the way we want.”

When Anderson Silva was defeated by Chris Weidman, he stated he wouldn’t fight for the belt anymore and many people thought it was time for Lyoto to drop down to the middleweight division. He guarantees it is a test he will definitely put himself through one day.

“I want to make this test and fight in this weight class. I am not a very large guy for light heavyweights, so I don’t find difficulty at all in fighting as middleweight. I am waiting a better position from my managers and after this fight we are going to see what will happen,” he says.

“Anderson’s rematch is fair; the guy rule division for long time. He maybe didn’t really want to fight for the belt again but the UFC demanded it. I believe it wasn’t only Anderson’s intentions that prevailed in this situation.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

God, Lyoto would give anyone fits at MW if the cut went well.

“Anderson’s rematch is fair; the guy rule division for long time. He maybe didn’t really want to fight for the belt again but the UFC demanded it. I believe it wasn’t only Anderson’s intentions that prevailed in this situation.”
    I bag on the UFC a lot but a rematch was the proper thing to happen here. Losing the way he did after showing such dominance throughout his career and even that fight undermines Weidman's skill, Anderson's legacy and the title itself. Really, that fight only proved, to me, that anyone can get caught slipping when they're fighting the top guys in the world.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Machida has been acting very "entitled" as of late. I have no problem with him not getting the title shot, even if it was promised. He was soundly beaten by Jones, and while his performance was great against Bader, I dont feel a 1 fight winning streak justified a title shot. He had gotten one before that by only beating Randy Couture. His performance wasn't title shot worthy in the Hendo match. HOwever, I do think a win over Phil Davis, whether it's a finish or a decision, should warrant him a title shot, because that would make 3 top 10 wins in a row, and easily front of the line.

I also dont blame him for turning down the Jones rematch last year on such short notice. It was the right call on his part, as he was not in a training camp for Jones at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    God, Lyoto would give anyone fits at MW if the cut went well.

I bag on the UFC a lot but a rematch was the proper thing to happen here. Losing the way he did after showing such dominance throughout his career and even that fight undermines Weidman's skill, Anderson's legacy and the title itself. Really, that fight only proved, to me, that anyone can get caught slipping when they're fighting the top guys in the world.
    Good post.
    What I learned from the fight is that Silva is also humble in defeat. He wore that loss like a fine tailor made suit and even defended Weidman.

I also think anyone can get caught slipping against any opponent especially when you take a blow your body wasn't prepared for..... hell SJ even you could knocked Silva out
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

I also weigh 258 and hold the punch machine record at two separate bars in the greater Indianapolis area lol.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

I also weigh 258 and hold the punch machine record at two separate bars in the greater Indianapolis area lol.
    Pfffffft. Whatever.
    I weigh 145 and once got punched at a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Machida has been acting very "entitled" as of late. I have no problem with him not getting the title shot, even if it was promised. He was soundly beaten by Jones, and while his performance was great against Bader, I dont feel a 1 fight winning streak justified a title shot. He had gotten one before that by only beating Randy Couture. His performance wasn't title shot worthy in the Hendo match. HOwever, I do think a win over Phil Davis, whether it's a finish or a decision, should warrant him a title shot, because that would make 3 top 10 wins in a row, and easily front of the line.

I also dont blame him for turning down the Jones rematch last year on such short notice. It was the right call on his part, as he was not in a training camp for Jones at the time.
    i agree he acts as if he did so much to deserve a title shot besides go on a 2 fight win streak with a knock out of a gate keeper and a split decision of hendo.

Haha I looked at your avatar as I read your comment. Could definitely see that guy saying the same line. Rep'd

Machida should just now be getting back into the title talks with a impressive win over Davis, but he thinks he has been getting screwed out of a title shot ever since he woke up from the Bones fight.
    USA! USA! USA!

Thread Information