Thread: Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum? UFC champ believes 'Vai Cavalo' is 'up next'

Hybrid View

Default Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum? UFC champ believes 'Vai Cavalo' is 'up next'

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/8/1/457...p-says-i-think

'I think Werdum has a shot up next," Velasquez told MMAfighting. "I guess all the newcomers coming in or whoever comes off a hot streak, we will see how it all plays out."

"Vai Cavalo" would definitely be at the top of the list of a division filled with carcasses left by Velasquez and Dos Santos, who to date, have only lost to one another.

Werdum has been victorious in his last three bouts -- two coming by way of finish -- and most recently defeated good friend and fellow Brazilian Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. In fact, looking at his recent contests, his previous 10 match-ups contain a who's-who of would-be contenders in the division.

His only two losses during that span came against Dos Santos and Alistair Overeem (in Strikeforce).

Werdum was recently said to have personally requested a bout against fellow Hexagon-import Daniel Cormier; however, "DC" is now lined up to face Roy Nelson while contemplating a possible future at 205 pounds. Not only does a drop in weight get him a crack at Jon Jones (potentially), it avoids an awkward moment like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Werdum really should've gotten the shot before JDS instead of UFC jumping right into the Cain-JDS trilogy.

What I see happening is if Cain wins, Werdum gets the shot. If JDS wins, Cormier gets the shot. I'm happy with both scenarios.

I think Werdum would beat cain, I dont know about dos santos though because against overeem he did absolutely nothing trying not to get hit and i would assume he would do the same against dos santos since he has gotten knocked the fuck out by him already.

and thinking of that reminds me of when dana said that dos santos was a can LOL.

Like you said, Dos Santos already knocked him out and I think Cain will do the same in short order.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...orld-tour-2013
    Cain Velasquez skips out on final leg of UFC World Tour 2013

The UFC's ambitious World Tour 2013 wraps up Friday in Rio de Janeiro, but one famous face will be missing from the announced lineup.

UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez will not take part in the final stop of the UFC World Tour 2013 after reportedly citing security concerns in Brazil. Combate.com first reported the fighter's decision, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since confirmed Velasquez's withdrawal from several sources close to the event.

Velasquez's camp confirmed the champion will not be traveling to Brazil but said he never intended to, despite UFC announcements to the contrary.

"He's never been scheduled to go," Heidi Seibert, a rep for Velasquez's camp, told MMAjunkie.com. "This isn't anything new. There's many reasons why he isn't going."

UFC officials declined to comment on Velasquez's absence from the previously announced appearance.

Former heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos – who already took part in World Tour 2013 stops alongside Velasquez in San Jose, Calif., Los Angeles, New York and Houston – will still appear at the Friday session at Rio de Janeiro's HSBC Arena ahead of the official weigh-in ceremony for this weekend's "UFC 163: Aldo vs. Korean Zombie" event.

UFC 163 participant Phil Davis, whose weekend bout with Lyoto Machida represents his second time fighting in Rio de Janeiro, was asked about Velasquez's decision at Thursday's pre-UFC 163 press conference. While he declined to weigh in on Velasquez's potential reasoning, Davis said he's never felt uncomfortable in the "Marvelous City."

"To each his own," Davis said. "If he felt that need was there for him – I'm not Cain Velasquez, I'm just a lowly Phil Davis. So it's hard to say exactly what dangers exist for him. But I haven't felt imminent danger in this city. But again, everything is relative."

I think Werdum has more than earned his title shot. I do like his chances against Cain better than his chances again JDS, though.

I would have liked to see it before Cain vs JDS III but I don't think he should be looking past a guy that's already knocked him out.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Thread Information