Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tim Kennedy wants Wanderlei, apprehensive about fighting Belfort in Brazil

1. Default Tim Kennedy wants Wanderlei, apprehensive about fighting Belfort in Brazil

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/8/1/...white-mma-news

It sounds like UFC middleweight Tim Kennedy has shifted his focus from one legendary Brazilian to another. Recently rumored to be facing Vitor Belfort, the Strikeforce vet now claims to be eyeing a scrap with former PIRDE champion Wanderlei Silva. Bleacher Report has the goods:

"I'd love to fight anybody with a rich history within the sport that's been a fighter for a long time," Kennedy said. "To get matched up with Wanderlei Silva, an iconic hero of mine, that's the kind of fight I want."
    But back to the subject of Vitor, Kennedy doesn't sound too keen on the prospect of facing the 'Phenom' down south.

"I wasn't thrilled about fighting Vitor in Brazil; I've always been vocal about being against TRT ... I had mixed feelings about fighting him in Brazil ... it's his legacy. He can do what he wants. But I think it demeans the sport when he uses performance-enhancing drugs."
    Kennedy also claims he asked the UFC to sanction Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) testing for the fight, but that the promotion claimed that onus fell on individual athletic commissions.
    "I'd prefer to fight him in the United States, but I was going to fight him regardless."
    Last week, MMA Fighting's Areil Helwani had UFC President Dana White touch on some of these issues regarding Belfort competing in Brazil. Three of Belfort's last four fights have taken place in Brazil. He hasn't competed in the States since his 2011 knockout win over Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 133.

"I don't care what heat it receives. [Belfort] is being tested. Listen to me: The last f***ing thing on Earth we would do is lie about something like this. Everybody always thinks there are these big conspiracies and s**t. This is a massive, massive business, right? We're on FOX, we're regulated by all these athletic commissions. You think we're going to hide Vitor Belfort in Brazil so he can cheat?

First of all, I would never f***ing do that. Take me out of the equation and the company would never do that. There are no conspiracies here. We're not hiding Vitor Belfort down in Brazil because he's drugged out of his mind and can't pass a test anywhere else, that's completely false. Vitor Belfort is huge in Brazil and does very well down there. The people in Brazil want to see him fight in Brazil."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I'd love a Wandy/Kennedy fight.

I don't know. I am scared Kennedy would stick to him like glue. At least we shouldn't have to worry about wandy getting ko'd.

Kennedy would likely maul him at this point in his career.

I actually like how White stepped up and spoke out about Vitor. I've been saying all along that Vitor is actually detrimental to MW by knocking everyone out yet being viciously stopped by Anderson. They have no reason to protect him and would be ecstatic to see him beaten in highlight-reel fashion.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Damn, nobody wants to fight Vitor in Brazil. TRT-Vitor is one of the scariest dudes out there right now.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

"I'd love to fight anybody with a rich history within the sport that's been a fighter for a long time," Kennedy said. "To get matched up with Wanderlei Silva, an iconic hero of mine, that's the kind of fight I want."

What he is saying is i want to fight a big name that really should not be fighting any more be cause i need to make a name for my self and beatting a has been in mma And a never was inside the ufc wandy seem fit the bill unless you can get me Royce Gracie

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post

This ^

Kennedy isn't the type of fighter I want to see against Wand at this point in his career. Kennedy seems to be fishing for a winnable fight where he can beat a name. The Roger fight did nothing for his stock and as exciting as Wand is, Kennedy can really make this a slow, meandering fight.

I'd prefer Wand/Hendo III, Wand/Larkin or Wand/Belcher, both seem like they'd be more fun fights.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post

I actually like how White stepped up and spoke out about Vitor. I've been saying all along that Vitor is actually detrimental to MW by knocking everyone out yet being viciously stopped by Anderson. They have no reason to protect him and would be ecstatic to see him beaten in highlight-reel fashion.

I guess you are assuming Silva gets the belt back ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I guess you are assuming Silva gets the belt back ?
    You are assuming that's what he assumes.

Thread Information