Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Strong victory' at UFC Fight Night 28 likely earns Glover Teixeira title shot

Default 'Strong victory' at UFC Fight Night 28 likely earns Glover Teixeira title shot

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...ira-title-shot

UFC exec Marshall Zelaznik revealed at Saturday night's post-UFC 163 press conference in Rio de Janeiro that UFC President Dana White and matchmaker Joe Silva told him an impressive win by Teixeira in his upcoming bout with Ryan Bader (15-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC) could earn him a crack at the belt.

"Dana and Joe have confirmed with a strong victory by Glover that he probably gets the winner of the Jon Jones fight," Zelaznik said.

Teixeira and Bader meet in the headlining bout of next month's UFC Fight Night 28 event, which takes place Sept. 4 at Estadio Jornalista Felipe Drumond in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil. The evening's main card airs on FOX Sports 1 following prelims that stream on Facebook.

The matchup was official announced in June, but Zelaznik's revelation adds a touch more intrigue. The two were originally expected to meet in May at UFC 160 before Bader suffered an injury in training that knocked him off the card. He was replaced by James Te Huna, who was submitted by Teixeira in the first round.

Bader has won three of his past four fights after suffering the first two losses of his career to Jones, which got Jones a shot at the light heavyweight title he won and has yet to relinquish, and an upset setback to Tito Ortiz. Since then, he has stopped Jason Brilz, outpointed Quinton Jackson and submitted Vladimir Matyushenko in just 50 seconds in January. His lone loss in his past four fights was a second-round knockout this past August against Lyoto Machida.

Teixeira has a 19-fight win streak and is unbeaten in the UFC. His win over Te Huna was a "Submission of the Night" winner, and he has stoppages over Kyle Kingsbury and Fabio Maldonado, as well as a decision win over "Rampage" Jackson in January.

Jones, of course, is set to defend his belt agains Alexander Gustafsson at September's UFC 165 event, which takes place less than three weeks after Teixeira vs. Bader. Much could happen between now and then, but the winner of the UFC 165 fight may have his next opponent already booked.

"Glover's got an opportunity to go for that belt with a big win, so we're expecting big things in Belo Horizonte," Zelaznik said.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

It only makes sense. The #1 guy just lost and the #2 guy is getting the next shot. What a mess it would be if Bader won the upset.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I'm pulling for Bader. It should be Glover vs Machida fighting for that spot. I hope Bader fucks up their plans and wins a boring decision or something like that. But if Glover wins, it would be a great fight. I just feel bad that Michida won't fight for the title anytime soon. Maybe if Chris does beat Silva, Michida would move down? That would be a great PPV. Of course that's not going to happen.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Is Bader magically wins does that leave him vs Davis for number one contender? Samn what happened to the stacked LHW division lol.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

I just don't get how he's number 3 without a single victory over anyone in the current top 10.

Not hating or discrediting, just stating a fact.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I just don't get how he's number 3 without a single victory over anyone in the current top 10.

Not hating or discrediting, just stating a fact.
    The UFC had Rory Mac at #3 or 4 prior to the Ellenberger fight, and he didnt have a single victory over anyone in the current top 10.

The UFC ranking system is heavily flawed.

I don't disagree but let's be honest, beating bader is worth what?

Either way, jones needs fresh meat and has dominated the whole class so I'm fine with it. I just debate his rank considering his résumé.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I don't disagree but let's be honest, beating bader is worth what?

Either way, jones needs fresh meat and has dominated the whole class so I'm fine with it. I just debate his rank considering his résumé.
    Beating Bader gave Jones a shot at the title. Prior to that he was coming off wins against Vlad, Vera, and Hamill (loss on paper but everyone knows it was a win). At the same time, outside of Rashad, the rest of the division didnt establish themselves as true contenders yet. Jones was just climbing into the top 10 at this point and got the shot.

Glover, with a win over Bader, would still have the longest winning streak at LHW, outside of Goose. Guys like Rashad, Machida (after yesterday's loss), Hendo, Lil Nog (who is just too injury prone to ever be considered a contender), Mousasi, all need to establish themselves with solid wins.

I agree, his rank is too high for someone without any top 10 wins, even if he was #9-10, he has a better case for a shot than anyone else at LHW.

Gilbert Melendez is ranked #1 at LW, Jacare is ranked #5 at MW, and Saffedine is ranked #8 at WW. Who of these guys has beaten anyone in the top ten in UFC? None of them but no one questions their ranking. It's all based on their fights outside of UFC.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Beating Bader gave Jones a shot at the title. Prior to that he was coming off wins against Vlad, Vera, and Hamill (loss on paper but everyone knows it was a win). At the same time, outside of Rashad, the rest of the division didnt establish themselves as true contenders yet. Jones was just climbing into the top 10 at this point and got the shot.
    Rashad getting injured before his fight with shogun gave Jones the title shot. The win over Bader did raise his stock a fair amount though, but Bader was also undefeated at the time and looked like he would eventually be fighting for the title. Baders lost a little momentum since then.

Thread Information