Thread: Jose Aldo thinks he may have broken foot during UFC 163 win over 'Korean Zombie'

Default Jose Aldo thinks he may have broken foot during UFC 163 win over 'Korean Zombie'

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...-korean-zombie

Jose Aldo was dominant once again on Saturday, but it may be a while before he's able to be again.

Aldo (23-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC), the UFC's featherweight champion, defended his title with a fourth-round TKO of Chan Sung Jung (13-4 MMA, 3-1 UFC) in the main event of UFC 163, which took place at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janiero.

Aldo won the fight not long after Jung, "The Korean Zombie," appeared to separate his right shoulder throwing a combination. When Aldo saw the shoulder injury, he took advantage and got a fairly quick TKO in the fourth round.

But after the fight, Aldo said he was injured, too. The Brazilian fighter believes he may have broken his foot against Jung.

"He knew I'd be giving him low kicks, and I think the first combination I kicked straight at his knee," Aldo told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) at the event's post-fight news conference. "I don't know if I broke my foot, but I can hardly walk on it. So I had totally change my strategy. I had to do some boxing, use some wrestling and use some jiu-jitsu."

It was Aldo's fifth defense of his title in the UFC and seventh overall. He won the 145-pound belt while a member of the WEC, stopping Mike Brown in the second round. He was the first fighter from the WEC to officially be brought over to the UFC prior to the organizations' merger.

It also was the second time Aldo has defended his belt in Rio. At UFC 142 in January 2012, he stopped Chad Mendes with a first-round TKO.

But Aldo has taken some criticism of late, despite being a top five fighter in most pound-for-pound rankings. It's been said he fades late in fights and doesn't have a good gas tank. But he explained that away.

"I always try to fight in a very aggressive manner, so I have a lot more to lose than my opponent," he said. "I try to fight with some intelligence and not attack crazily. I knew I was winning the fight. I was going to keep things under control. People think on TV I'm tired because I have to cut weight, but I fight intelligently. I try to keep calm, and I know I'm going to win the fight."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I remember seeing him throw one kick that Chan kinda checked. I believe it was in the 1st round. When it landed I thought, "that sounded odd. If I kicked someone's chin like that I would be permanently handicapped." I'll rewatch it again this afternoon.

BP
    Kevo's response regarding Jon Jones' toe injury:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trodden View Post
    At what point did the injury occur?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    The part where his big toe does a backflip

Thread Information