Thread: Nick Newell: 'I don't want a normal job, I want to be a fighter'

Default Nick Newell: 'I don't want a normal job, I want to be a fighter'

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/8/11...o-be-a-fighter

"I saw a lot of things I really need to work on," Newell said. "Not everything out there went the way I wanted it to. I'm probably going to take a week off, then I'm going to get cracking right away."

That's the type of mentality that's enabled Newell to win his first 10 professional fights, and one that helped push him to overwhelm Caldwell before finishing him in just over two minutes with a guillotine choke.

When pressed, Newell let up on the self-critique and allowed that was happy with much about the way the fight went down.

"I think I showed people that my striking game was legit. And I'm a lot faster than people give me credit for. I fought a very good guy, he was 9-1, he had a great record. You know, I'm happy now, I'm ready to celebrate with my family and my team."

Newell's victory means he's earned a spot in WSOF's four-man lightweight tournament, with date and opponent to be determined. But for now, sitting with his team in a back room at Citizen's Business Bank Arena long after the crowd had filed out, Newell is just glad he has the chance to do what he's doing for a living.

"I train so hard, when I go out there it means absolutely everything to me," an introspective Newell said. "I leave my heart and soul in the cage. I don't want to work a normal job, I want to be a fighter."

WSOF 4 was the first time I watched an interview with Newell. He seems like a very sweet kid; I'm glad to see him finding success.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ne-in-the-UFC/
    Newell: I can compete with anyone in the UFC

“That’s really the only [promotion] that’s bigger,” said Newell. “But I love the way World Series promotes their fighters and they put me on the main card which is amazing. UFC is the biggest, I could compete with anyone in the UFC and make it a good fight. I’ve been saying that forever, it’s just no one believed me until probably now.”

“I was a free agent and I signed with World Series of Fighting and I couldn’t be happier. They’re on the up and they really know what they’re doing. I’m not going to complain and like say I want to be somewhere else. I’m very happy.”

Thread Information